Changing a password on a website -- auto update

When I updated a password on a website and had the LastPass extension on, LastPass would be aware I had changed the password and ask whether the new password should be saved. Bitwarden seems oblivious. With Bitwarden I find myself forced to copy a new password into another file after generating it so I can be sure that I can both put it in the website as a new password and correctly edit the password info in Bitwarden, since Bitwarden does not seem to recognize the password change. I find this behavior with both the Safari and Firefox extensions on my Macs. Am I doing something wrong here, or is Bitwarden unable to automatically detect a change of password and ask to copy it? Thanks!

@andyf Welcome to the forum!

First, go to to Settings > Options in the browser extension, and ensure that you have enabled (checked) the option “Ask to update existing login”. Second, ensure that you have disabled any other password managers running on your browser (including the browser’s built in options for saving passwords). For best results, also ensure that your Bitwarden browser extension is unlocked before making any password changes. If you have done these things, then Bitwarden should generally prompt you when it detects that you are changing a password. However, there have been past user reports that this feature does not always work on every website.

An easier method to make a password change (which will always work properly) is to navigate to the website’s password change form, then edit the corresponding vault item in the Bitwarden browser extension, completing the following tasks:

1. Click the “Generate password” icon (:arrows_counterclockwise: ) in the password field, and click “OK” on the warning about overwriting your current password.
  2. Click “Select” in the upper right corner.
  3. Click “Save” in the upper right corner.
  4. Click the “Autofill” button (located below the displayed item details).
  5. If the website’s password change form has an “Old Password” field, then you need to delete the value that was auto-filled into that field, and enter the old password (which you can retrieve from the password history, if necessary).
  6. Submit the online password change form, and you’re done!
1 Like

Thank you. This is helpful. I will try disabling the Browser’s password manager next time. And thank you for pointing out that the password history is saved. It took me a bit to find it, even after knowing it existed, but I am glad it is there. Thanks again.

1 Like