Change "type" of item

This is basic functionality that really should have been included from the beginning. Some of my imports (from mSecure) ended up as the “note” type with passwords exposed. I realize that the Bitwarden team (or is it one guy?) can’t predict all the different “types” that they’ll be importing, but it sure would be nice to be able to correct the “type” of existing records after import - mSecure can do this with no problem, as well as KeePass I believe. Seems like a bit of an oversight on the part of Bitwarden.

I came from EWallet and found all card types became LOGIN types in BitWarden. I too would like the ability to migrate an entry from one type to another. Perhaps pop the fields from both types involved and allow the user to map on a case-by-case basis.

Maybe it could be easier, since types structures are different, is to prepare separate csv exports from the old app, one for credit cards, one for logins, one for secure notes, and customize these csv (or other format) files to fit Bitwarden types. And the import each file specifying the type to import to.

I did the migration from SPB Wallet and I need to change type cards. Please add this feature.

I am faced with the same issue. Is there a detailed documentation for the bitwarden csv format? Maybe I can adjust my export “tool”.

Allow me to voice frustration too. Nothing super big for me, but I just noticed 4 items that were totally wrong in my vault. I was unable to change the “item type”. These items all have multiple attachments so I had to download them to my Desktop and then re-create a vault entry designating them with the correct item type. Wow, if I had a hundred of these that would suck big time!

This to do list item has been hanging out for months now. Anything coming down the pipe yet?

1 Like

Not on the roadmap just yet. Perhaps we can see if this fits as an enhancement to the clone feature.

1 Like

I also just switched from eWallet and was surprised to find that all of my cards ended up under “logins.” Also surprised to see that after 2 1/2 years this hasn’t been addressed, but then I guess it hasn’t gotten many upvotes.

On the other hand, how important is Type? It feels like I should have my credit and ATM cards under Cards, but since the folder structure from eWallet is preserved, am I really going to miss anything? In fact, since I had sub-folders for work vs personal cards, and debit vs credit cards, it may be more functional to stick with the imported folders?

Just imported from Keepass. No ability to change type from “Login” to “Identity”, “Card” etc. Please consider enabling this. Thanks.

1 Like

This is a feature probably mainly important for users that switch to BW and import a large number of items. If you enter new data you will use the correct type.

As you currently welcome a lot of switchers, this feature may climb up in the importance grading a bit :wink:

1 Like

After you Add Item there is no way when you go back and edit the Item that you can change/convert the Type (Login, Card, Identity, Secure Note) of that Item short of deleting the Item and reentering all the details over again. I imported from LastPass need to make Type changes.
Please provide a way to accomplish this.

2 Likes

I also need this…Hoping some devs are seeing this thread.

Yes please, I just moved from 1Password and I have to change many items type manually.
Adding this feature will help people like me a lot.
Thanks

New here, thanks! First post, and this, tbh, is one of the most important features missing, along with drag and drop into folders. Is there any commitment to do this?

Hi @fredu, our current roadmap is available here. You can also vote for the drag and drop functionality here.

Cheers, but this has been floating around for 4 years now it seems. Do I still need to vote?

The roadmap is subject to change but does show our current trajectory. Currently you can use the Bitwarden Web Vault to perform bulk actions such as selecting and moving multiple items.

Yup - imported from KeePass. I like Bitwarden, but I don’t like re-typing. Pleeease can we have a type change feature.

With respect to 1Password migrations, all my 1Password types have been retained in Bitwarden.

Strongly support this feature request. Would make using Bitwarden substantially easier.