Can log in to Browser, but not Android mobile?

Hi Everyone, first time poster, but long time user :smiley:

I have a problem with a friend’s account (I convinced her to stop using the same password for everything and use something safe!). She is logged in to her Firefox browser add-on, she has logged out and logged in again no problem. But when she attempts to log in to her Android phone app, Bitwarden refuses.

I have tried multiple times, including re-writing in the email address, but it doesn’t want to know. Again, she has no problem logging in to Bitwarden in Firefox.

Is there any way of resolving this?

All suggestions gratefully received, Smithy. :+1:

Can you be more specific in what BW says when it “refuses” ----- your word?

Hi @Smithy - welcome!

If your friend has a single quotation mark or double quotation mark in her password, that is a likely culprit (as well as a few other obscure characters). Many Android keyboards (and iOS) like to change straight quotes to “curly” quotes (smart quotes), but those are different characters. If that’s not it, check for any other special characters or international characters, or basically anything that isn’t included in the Bitwarden password generator special character list. She might have to change master passwords for Android to ‘play nice’.

1 Like

Same problem, new person. Android login. It’s the flippin’ keyboard! When I copy and paste it into the Password line it works fine. Cheapo tablet.

Hi, yes the message reads: “An error has occured” and then just the OK button.

Should I try a different keyboard?

1 Like

David, those are all really good points, but she uses a pass phrase, just regular words, we’ve been very careful as we typed it in.

I’m going to try writing it on a notepad, and copying and pasting.

Thanks Hilary, I’ll try that :grinning:

Then definitely check those dashes in the passphrase - Regular dashes are often converted to en dashes or even em dashes. Please let us know how you make out!

So I installed a different keyboard, and typed it all afresh, but the same error message.

How do I contact Bitwarden directly, can I do it here?

Scrap that, I see I can do it internally in my own BW account. I’ll do that and post back here the results.

1 Like

You should also try switching networks - WiFi, cellular data, VPN, etc. Sometimes it can actually be related to a network routing problem and not the password at all.

If that doesn’t change anything, I would uninstall the app, reboot your phone, and reinstall. Some have reported that this can solve strange login issues.

Hi everyone.

Must apologise, I forgot I posted here :no_mouth: (just logged in to vote for a feature request)

As it happens, I’m about to work with her on her phone again, so I can check this at the same time

Thanks for this David, I think this is the way forwards.

Btw, the reason I’m about to work on her phone with her again is this: she tells me she has a virus. Her phone was on silent for some time. When I asked why she had her phone on silent, she said because the Anti-Virus kept coming up with an alert that she had a virus, and the alert was annoying her, so she’s turned the volume down!!! (but didn’t take any notice of the alert!)

I’m posting this because I think this is really important for security, how someone can miss an important signal.

Anyhow, I will do my best to remeber to post the results this time. Many thanks for all suggestions :smiling_face: