Bwdc sync - run as SYSTEM user

Hi BW Community,

I want to schedule the Directory Sync tool with the windows task scheduler.
This works using my user, however I need to run it with the SYSTEM user.

I pasted the configured data.json file in:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden Directory Connector

The path seems to be correct - when I remove the data.json file it generates a new / unconfigured one in that folder.

The data.json file works when I run bwdc with my user, however running it as SYSTEM doesn’t work.
Anyone tried this or can give me a hint?

Thanks in advance

Are you using the desktop app or the CLI of the bwdc?

You can use the desktop to create a config file, but you will want to use the CLI and something like Task Scheduler or Cron to automate syncing based on whatever parameters you’d set or if you’d need this to run where the desktop app can’t be left running in the background.

The documentation is using a user account, but I haven’t tested if this work also work with a SYSTEM account, but would be interested to hear if it works for you.

Hi Kent,

thanks for your reply.
Yes, I’m using the CLI bwdc.

I used the desktop app to configure it.
test, sync, etc. is working when running the desktop app or using CLI with my user.

However I can’t get it running with SYSTEM user.
When running it as SYSTEM user it creates the data.json file in here: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden Directory Connector

I copied the fully configured data.json file from my users AppData folder to this path:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Bitwarden Directory Connector

Unfortunately its not working.
Do you have any input for me?

Thanks