Bw command line client - recursively search all folders?

I’d like to be able to search by name, username or url in all folders, while using the command line client.

e.g. bw list items --search google --folderid * (which doesn’t actually work)

It only searches the root level by default.

What’s the trick?

Hello @furicle - welcome to the community forums!

Recursive search is the default. You should just be able to do the following without specifying a folder wildcard:

bw list items --search google

If your search is not returning the items you expect, there could be another issue at play. For example, make sure you are using the latest version of the CLI (currently = 1.21.1).

EDIT: I just updated to the latest version after posting this, and now the CLI is no longer recursively searching through the folder tree. So I am guessing this must be a bug. Maybe @tgreer is able to comment if the search behaviour has changed or there is an issue with the latest release?

Posting a fix for anyone encountering this issue, thanks to @eliykat:

Go to your CLI application data folder and remove any files you find there. Here are the locations:

• Windows: %AppData%\Bitwarden CLI
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Bitwarden CLI
  • Linux: ~/.config/Bitwarden CLI

Login to the CLI again, and it will recreate the files needed and everything should work as expected after that. Cheers!

1 Like

Interesting - Thanks!

I started working with support on this issue, and something I did while trying to confirm sync was working seemed to ‘reset’ it. Working now.

I’m on version 1.20, so I’ll look at getting that update in place next.

1 Like