Bring 'Auto fill and save' to iOS

This feature would be very useful. Hopefully it gets priority from the devs.

3 Likes

It’s been two years since I originally posted. They’ve done a lot since then so for sure hope it’s gotten higher up the list.

Would love a comment from someone in the know!

2 Likes

@kspearrin @bw-admin any chance it’s still being looked at? (see linked comment)

2 Likes

@bw-admin

Is 1Password better?

I have been waiting patiently for this feature for nearly 2 years now. Like others, I switched from Android to iOS, and this is the feature I miss the most from my android Bitwarden. I need to get my parents and my in-laws setup on a password manager, but as they are all iOS, I can’t recommend Bitwarden to them without this feature. They are not the most tech savvy, and the extra steps of needing to search for the login, copy/paste the username, go back and copy/paste the password, each and every time, would push them away from using Bitwarden and back to their old habits.

Sadly, I will be looking into 1Password today :frowning:

3 Likes

@Floppystick Welcome to the forum!

If your goal is to set up new vaults for your parents and in-laws, can’t you just set up the correct URIs to begin with when you create each vault entry?

1 Like

@grb

Perhaps, but the likely hood that I would get all of them is slim, and missing just one of them would push them back to what they are doing today.

Also, the goal is to get them to be able to use the password manager long term, and that would require them to add the URI’s to any new apps that they install. Adding logins is trivial enough, but finding the correct URI to use is not. That’s where the “Auto-Fill and Save” comes in :wink:.

3 Likes

@kspearrin @bw-admin Happy New Year folks. Any chance of a comment on progress?

12 months since the below >

1 Like

I find it funny that they have to look into this when android has done it for ages! I miss the app on android due to this, but had to leave android for other reasons. I really hope you guys can bring this to iOS soon!

1 Like

Definitely a must have. I’m switching from android to IOS and am sad to see that some of the features of the app are missing… The feature is desired by the community so please, bump up the priority.

2 Likes

Please get this done!

1 Like

It would sure be great to get a comment from someone on the BitWarden team - there is clearly a demand for this. It baffles me when a brand has a forum like this one but doesn’t engage with the community.

Though I don’t know exactly about “Auto-fill and save” with the new mobile apps, I still wanted to share the info about new native mobile apps coming - see announcement on Reddit from Feb 29 (mentioning e.g. UX improvements and redesign… and there are short demo videos available): https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwarden/comments/1b32bbz/going_native_the_future_of_the_bitwarden_mobile/

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this. I’d have missed it completely otherwise.

This is really reassuring and it sounds like you guys have really had your work cut out for you.

I have to say if the reason autofill & save hasn’t come to the iOS app yet is because Microsoft hasn’t added support for it in Xamarin yet, then somebody should have said that in as many words. Sometimes details are everything when it comes to managing expectations.

Good luck on the road to launching in a few months time. I’ll be eagerly checking my inbox for updates :smiley:

2 Likes

@dennison Nice to read, that you appreciated the info!

Well, I’m just a Bitwarden user and don’t know anything about “Xamarin” and the differences about it in/with iOS and Android… “Auto-fill and save” is supported with the current Android app (also Xamarin) - but if Xamarin is the (only?) reason it doesn’t work on iOS, I really don’t have a clue. :sweat_smile:

But nonetheless - I think there is hope about further developement on both platforms with the newly built native apps (and as the Bitwarden team wrote, an underlying code base, which seems to allow quicker adaption of new functions). :+1:

2 Likes