Bitwarden snap and apparmor spamming syslog

On Ubuntu 22.04, allmost fresh install, Gnome desktop
When running the Bitwarden desktop app (which comes as a snap nowadays), the syslog will be spammed with apparmor DENIED messages.

dbus-daemon[16626]: apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“dbus_method_call” bus=“session” path="/org/freedesktop/secrets" interface=“org.freedesktop.Secret.Service” member=“OpenSession” mask=“send” name=":1.17" pid=19933 label=“snap.bitwarden.bitwarden” peer_pid=16634 peer_label=“unconfined”

bitwarden[19933]: Remote error from secret service: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=“method_call”, sender=":1.125" (uid=1001107 pid=19933 comm="/snap/bitwarden/79/bitwarden --no-sandbox --enable" label=“snap.bitwarden.bitwarden (enforce)”) interface=“org.freedesktop.Secret.Service” member=“OpenSession” error name="(unset)" requested_reply=“0” destination=":1.17" (uid=1001107 pid=16634 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login " label=“unconfined”)

dbus-daemon[16626]: apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“dbus_method_call” bus=“session” path="/org/freedesktop/secrets" interface=“org.freedesktop.Secret.Service” member=“OpenSession” mask=“send” name=":1.17" pid=19933 label=“snap.bitwarden.bitwarden” peer_pid=16634 peer_label=“unconfined”

bitwarden[19933]: Remote error from secret service: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type=“method_call”, sender=":1.125" (uid=1001107 pid=19933 comm="/snap/bitwarden/79/bitwarden --no-sandbox --enable" label=“snap.bitwarden.bitwarden (enforce)”) interface=“org.freedesktop.Secret.Service” member=“OpenSession” error name="(unset)" requested_reply=“0” destination=":1.17" (uid=1001107 pid=16634 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login " label=“unconfined”)

This will repeat after appr. 10 secs until I stop the app. Any suggestions for diagnosing further or fixing?

While I’m not sure if this will assist with your issue, I noticed Bitwarden also provided an .AppImage download as an alternative to the snap package.
Have you perhaps tried to install that?

I’m basically trying to have a straight forward Linux setup (trying Ubuntu/Gnome) that I can recommend to others (without becoming their support guy). Hence, I don’t want to deviate from the standard way of setting up, which is SnapStore in this case. So I hope, somebody knowlegable will look after the problem and send an update.
However, thanks for the hint. I’ll give it a try.

I reduced considerably the noise in syslog by doing this: Took that somewhere in the Bitwarden desktop github issues

Go to Ubuntu Software (Discover Software Center)
Search for Bitwarden
Click Configure Permission
Turn ON Read, add, change, or remove saved passwords (me i had to enable password-manager-service instead…im on Kubuntu)

2 Likes

Thank you. Turning the password permissions on removes the repeating syslogs while the app is running. Some logs are still there when starting up.