Bitwarden Send should let me keep some "Sends" forever

Everything is in the title!

I know doing this is a potential security issue because you can forget about a Send and who you shared it with, etc. But in my opinion, it should still be an option to create Sends that’ll stay shared and available forever.

I hope I’m not the only one that thinks this would be a good change :slight_smile:

Yea…this is never happening. Those “Sends” are not only stored on a server somewhere, but are also encrypted. If they last forever, you now have free unlimited encrypted storage. (not very efficient because everything has to be uploaded 100mb at a time, but still…)

I believe that during one of the presentations Trey mentioned that the “Sends” are stored in the encrypted storage you get when you are on a paid plan. The size of the paid storage depends on what you pay (*). So keeping a “Send” like forever could become an option.

@tgreer: ?

(*)

Files can be attached to Vault items from any Bitwarden application. An individual file attachment must be 100MB or smaller. By default, paid users have access to 1GB of encrypted storage for file attachments. Additional storage can be purchased in 1GB increments.

Source: File Attachments | Bitwarden Help & Support

1 Like

While I understand your concern, I don’t get how this is different from the unlimited passwords you can store on a free Bitwarden account?

If this is an issue, at least give us max. 10 Sends we can keep forever maybe that would be a solution.

Oh that’s good to know, so it is possible!

I did not say this that it is possible. I only think that from the technical point of view this “could become an option”. So if everything I wrote is correct they could decide to make it come true. The question would remain if they would want to do that.

All that @Peter_H says is factual :slight_smile:

The text sends aren’t measured against file storage, just the file sends. This perma-share concept may be better suited for vault-vault sharing of items, or vault links.

For “permanent Sends”, I’d be looking at using a dedicated secure cloud storage and sharing solution, such as Sync.com. A “Send” in Bitwarden’s world is a means to share some piece of information that needs to be kept private and secure. For long-term storage and sharing, an end-to-end encrypted cloud provider would be the way to go.

2 Likes

I disagree, why couldn’t this be implemented inside Bitwarden? It means one less service to use and I don’t understand why it would do much harm. (Even though it’s better to share for a certain period of time only, at least give us the option to share indefinitely)

I’m not saying they definitely couldn’t or shouldn’t do it. If they decided to, I think it would be better to do something separate to Send as that is for a specific purpose. Long-term storage and sharing would be a new feature in my eyes, rather than a change to how Send works.

Tried using Send as a way to store passwords in cloud notebooks (Nimbus, Notion). It turned out that passwords are stored for no more than a month. As a result, the function is useless. I’d rather be able to store a certain amount of passwords forever on paid plans.

1 Like

Passwords should be stored in the vault - unlimited passwords can be stored for an unlimited period.

Send is a way of transferring confidential information from A to B, end-to-end encrypted. It’s not intended for the long-term storage of data.

2 Likes

My passwords stored in vault, but I need to share some passwords to my colleagues.

1 Like

Lets say I want to share my Netflix password with some friends, and sometimes I update the password but still want my friends to be able to access it. Bitwarden Send would be perfect for that.

Or even if I don’t update it, just being able to send the same working link to my friend(s) 2 years later with the same password would be useful. If the link was temporary, I’d be sure that they would ask for it again after a few months, because most of my social circle (and of ours on this forum too I believe) do not write passwords down and it’s even less probable that they use a password manager.