Bitwarden self-hosted - SSL Error on iPhone

Good morning everyone,
I am in the process of switching to Bitwarden. Unfortunately, I fail at one point and do not get further. I hope someone can help me.

I host Bitwarden on my Proxmox server. It works fine on all my computers. Now I would like to use Bitwarden on my iPhone via the app. Unfortunately, I always get an SSL error when connecting.

“An error has occurred. Exeption Message: The certificate for this server is invalid. You may be connecting to a server pretending to be “192.168.23.5” and compromising confidential data.”

My goal is to use Bitwarden exclusively on the internal LAN. I use a VPN server for this.

I know how to install the SSL certificate in iOS. Only I fail to issue this for my local IP addresses. Does anyone here have a tutorial or can tell me how I implement the smartest?

Thanks in advance.

You won’t be able to use the automatic certificate generation of Bitwarden for local IP addresses.

There is some info in the documentation about different alternatives for certificates. In your case, " Using a self-signed Certificate" should do the trick:

1 Like

I followed the instructions to install certificate and make it trust in iPhone. But still the Bitwarden mobile apps shows the same error. What could be the problem? I don’t have any domain name. I used the ipaddress as DN name when i generated the certificate.