Bitwarden prompt to Never save password doesn't work

Hi I have a peculiar issue with the Chrome extension. It never remembers to never prompt to save a password when I choose that option say on my banking website. I couldn’t find anything on Google. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @riverofwind and welcome to the community,

Do you happen to know if your Bitwarden extension is in an Unlocked or Locked state when you try to sign in and notice the prompt?

Do you mean signed in or not? It’s always singed in if so…

1 Like

If you do not need to constantly login, then most likely you stay signed in as you say and the extension will Lock after a certain time period. You can understand the difference between Lock and Logging in within the Bitwarden help article.

If the extension is not in an unlocked state however in any instance it will not know you have a matching login item if you attempt to sign in and select the Never save password option. So you will either need to make sure the extension is Unlocked prior to attempting to login to make sure it correctly never offers to save the password further, extend your Vault Timeout period, or you can also disable this globally if you prefer under SettingsOptionsAsk to add login :white_medium_small_square:

I’m with Josh on this one extension not in locked state, I’ve literally signed in just before trying a banking site I don’t want the password remembered for and you set the never in chrome and it doesn’t remember it at all. Everytime you visit the bank site again same deal. In the bar at the top for if bitwarden should save it, I select Never. and I could close that browser tab try a few minutes later same deal pops up yet again not remembering my settings. Does bit warden even keep a list somewhere for sites not to prompt. Do we literally have to add the site into bitwarden for password handling in order to tell it not to handle passwords for the site. Seems odd.
I also tried my firefox same issue everytime pops everytime even if I say never. So I thought intiially a browser issue but it isn’t seems broken functionality across the board. Yes our exenstions are not locked

Try going to Settings > Excluded domains in the browser extension. Ensure that the exact expression ib.nab.com.au is on the list of excluded domains, and if it isn’t, then add the full domain name ib.nab.com.au using the + New URI button (and click “Save”).

I would suggest also adding the domain www.nab.com.au to the list of excluded domains, because it seems that the login page may contain iframes that load content from the www.nab.com.au domain.

1 Like

Thanks for that looks like it is not meant to be, but good to know where they are listed. Appears I had two for both banks I use (highlighted in image) and appears same issue for the other bank website too. I added a few URLs as you suggested but still same issue.
2024-01-01 19_35_00-Window

Ironically my other bank I don’t use so often I seem to have account issues, won’t accept my password or pin (who knows which) and after a reset won’t accept new ones either, guess the bank probably has issues and will find out when people return to work. Sign for me to ignore the internet for a day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like to chime in here too, as this is happening for me as well. Browser extension is unlocked and I have the domain(s) added to my excluded domains list, but still asks if I want to save every single time. I can literally login, click “never” for the prompt, logout, then login again, and I’m hit with the same prompt.

I should note that this is a relatively new issue for me - was never prompting me before, until maybe the last 5-6 months?

The recent reports are likely an issue within 2023.12. The account state got migrated and excluded domains weren’t read properly.

Thanks to a community member, this was caught here.

A fix was made with [PM-5301] Access Returned Object With Global Key by justindbaur · Pull Request #7240 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub which will be included in the upcoming 2024.1-release.

Kind regards,
Daniel

There is a possibly related bug/glitch reported here (which does not involve the Excluded Domains list:

I was having this issue with my CBA account. Clicking the Bitwarden “never” link will add the URI www.commbank.com.au to the excluded domains but I noticed that the page where the login is performed has URI www.my.commbank.com.au. Manually adding this to the list and reloading the page fixed my issue.

Note I use Firefox.

Hope this helps somebody.

1 Like