BitWarden never prompts to save new logins

I signed up to this site just to test if it was working. It didn’t ask to save while creating the account here but it did ask if I wanted to save after logging in for the first time. On Windows/Firefox so the issue is still existing for me. But glad you seem to be having less of a problem. For now I’ll have to stick with the work around.

Since I switched to BitWarden a few months ago, this feature never worked.

2 Likes

I was making an instruction for kids 10-12 on using a password manager, and was asked to use BitWarden. I myself am used to LastPass. While having done the basics of the instruction, i just ran into the ‘feature’ that BitWarden is not noticing when you sign into a website, and not offering to store the password, where LastPass most of the time is offering just that. I appreciate open source software and everyone putting in the time, but the ‘work around’ or ‘as designed’ behavior of BitWarden on this aspect for me is an important missing feature.

(i have strong mixed experience with BitWarden kicking in (or not) offering to save the password, not yet sure when it works and when not)

1 Like

Currently I wanted to replace lastpass with bitwarden but after testing practically on 80 percent of bitwarden sites does not offer registration but in addition if registration is done manually the right click to copy the username copy in the end the password to the place.
This is really a shame because the concept of bitwarden is really good but still far from being operational apparently.

well, after yebbing for 1+ yers, Ive finally found whats preventing prompt from appearing.

This guide assumes you have IDE ( VSCode ) installed and mapped com.dodick.f

1. Navigate to [shit]/browser/src/popup/app-routing.module.ts
  2. Go to last line
  3. Insert code
let GoDisplayPassNotif = function {
let notifTxt =  "Do you really want to save password?"
let timer = 0;
if (document.getAttribute('notifTxt').hasAttribute('visible:false'){
 document.setAttribute('notifTxt').append('visible:true');
}
1 Like

Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same problem on Chrome with gmail accounts.

One data point:
I use Bitwarden on a Purism Librem laptop running PureOS, a Debian distro, and it almost always prompts me to save the password. If anything, it prompts too often, sometimes when the password has not changed.
One suggestion:
If you are using uBlock Origin or another ad/tracker blocker, perhaps it is interfering with this feature.

Thank you. I do run Ublock Origin. I will try it with that turned off.

I uninstalled ublock origin and it still did not prompt for the password.

I find Bitwarden will often fail to capture the login&password during the account creation process. It often then manages to capture it fine during the first login of the website.

To give an example: I just made an account for this forum with bitwarden turned on/unlocked. During the account creation process, Google Chrome itself did offer to save the password but Bitwarden did not. After the account was verified through email and I logged in, Bitwarden suddenly offered to save the password after the Chrome password manager filled it in.

It sounds like you have two password managers running simultaneously, and they are conflicting with one another. I think that’s your issue, not something buggy with Bitwarden.

Here is a handy guide for disabling a common brower’s ability to manage credential’s to reduce conflict.

This is the WORST software I have ever used, period, and I’m not even exaggerating. I can’t believe I paid for this. I tried to give it another try after realizing the software doesn’t even have an overlay popup like all other competitors, only to realize today that BitWarden isn’t asking to save passwords. I disabled built-in Chrome password manager, disabled all plugins, deleted all saved logins, then I tried 20 times to login/logout of Gmail and BitWarden has NEVER asked not even ONCE to save the password. I tested with 3 different browsers.

I’m done, I wasted 3 days trying to get this POS working, BitWarden is the worst password manager to exist. Uninstalled.

1 Like

Out of all the issues that Bitwarden has with auto fill and UI/UX (and trust me Bitwarden has a lot of them) this is not one I’ve encountered that much.

If you feel comfortable, perhaps you could list the websites where it didn’t prompt.

I’ve searched on google and found hundreds of users complaining about the exact same issue, some saying they have been having the problem for years

If you feel comfortable, perhaps you could list the websites where it didn’t prompt.

Gmail is one of them. Tried 4 different accounts on 3 browsers, logged on/off like 30 times, never prompted not even once

Okay Gmail is one of the few sites I had trouble with when registration.

Were you trying to register on desktop or mobile?

What other sites?

Hey all, the team is working on improving autofill, thanks for your patience! Be sure to also disable your browser’s native ability to manage credentials so that they aren’t competing.

This is a disaster.

Roboform has been fantastic with this for more than 10 years. Always works.

I wanted to give Bitwarden a try but come one… it is pathetic that this password save does not work.

Just switched from Chrome to Edge and ran into this problem. It’s astounding how this has not been fixed for what? 3,5 years? This bug has even been tracked on Github since 2021.

Every answer I’ve found from Bitwarden over this time period, is this: “Be sure to also disable your browser’s native ability to manage credentials so that they aren’t competing.” Found again on this thread.

Well, if you haven’t found out by now, I can tell you; it’s not helping.

As Bitwarden can’t fix their extension’s core feature in 3,5 years or so, this really made me question their competence on their other systems.