Bitwarden mobile app on Android unable to sign on WIFI network

For some unknown reason, my Bitwarden app on my Samsung S22 Ultra is unable to sign in with the error message, “We were unable to process your request. Please try again later.” Upon attempting to log in with master password, the error message, “An error has occurred.”

This issue only happens on my WIFI network. If I turn off the WIFI connection on my phone and use mobile network, it can login without issue. Using wifi and login with Bitwarden app has never been an issue and only happened recently.

Of course, I have to test whether it is an issue with my home network. I am able to login to web vault and my browser extension on my PC have no issue logging into Bitwarden as well. So this seems to be either an issue with the app or phone. My phone’s latest firmware update was in November and is currently running Android 14. Does anybody else have a similar issue?

Some of us have reported here: Login problems and popup message Android? - #20 by zellleonhart

Are you a Malaysian with Unifi as ISP provider or not? A bunch of us using the same ISP encountered this issue, just wondering how widespread is this issue.

Yep. Also using Unifi.

But I would probably rule out ISP as the issue. Since I am able to login to web vault and browser extension without issue. All devices are on the same network. Does not make a lot of sense if other devices on the same network have no problem but it does not work on mobile phone connected to the same network.

I see. I tried to do some digging, somehow the android app doesn’t send a request to vault.bitwarden.com when I am on Wifi. I check this through the DNS query logs in my adguard home instance. However if I select bitwarden.eu, it does request correctly to the EU site.

Also when I use mobile network or VPN, it does send a request to vault.bitwarden.com:

By chance, are you using a Samsung phone that is having trouble logging into the BW app?

Nope, I am using a Pixel 8 Pro. I just created a new account on bitwarden.eu and it works perfectly. It’s JUST bitwarden.com accounts can’t be logged in. Even after logging in using VPN or mobile data, the moment I try to login again on my Wi-fi will log me out immediately as if there is a security breach or something.

By the looks of the rest of the community, seems to be happening elsewhere as well.

It seems more likely an app issue at this point or a Google update that broke something.

The only workaround I have besides having to use VPN is to go into Settings > Connections > Network Usage > (limit BW app to only use mobile data instead of WIFI & mobile data)

Hi @Cid - I’d recommend reporting this issue to our Support Team so they can gather additional information about what’s going on and hopefully help get this addressed!