Bitwarden instead of KDE Wallet

Perhaps I need to head over to the KDE forum with this question. If so, let me know.

Love bitwarden. In the move to Linux, I keep getting asked to use KDE wallet to store passwords (for example in setting up any of the email clients). Is there any way to use Bitwarden instead of KDE wallet for these things?

@jack_flack Welcome to the forum!

Yes, Bitwarden runs on Linux systems. You can download a Desktop app for Linux, or install one or more browser extensions for Linux-compatible browsers.

As far as disabling KDE, I don’t have information about how to accomplish that, but I would be very surprised if it is not possible to do.

Simply let KDE Wallet store the sensitive data it wants to store. It works really well once you let it do what it wants to do.

Note that I use Bitwarden for my credentials, but still I let KDE Wallet do what it wants to do, and it is storing some things (visible but encrypted when I view Wallet Manager) in a securely encrypted way. KDE Wallet seems only to bother people who are trying to fight it and not letting it do what it is trying to do.

If anyone has a more technical understanding, I’m listening as well.

Good explanation here:

“KWallet isn’t a password manager in the traditional sense like Bitwarden or Lastpass. It simply manages the user keyring, which serves as a storage area for apps to store their secrets in an encrypted way. It is not meant for the user to explicitly add passwords or logins. Gnome has something similar with gnome-keyring and Seahorse.”

This is a great suggestion. I would love to be able to replace KDE wallet with my own bitwarden solution, but it doesn’t look like that is possible. Your explanation helped me understand what is really going on. Thank you!