Automatic Sync after changes

Hello, i’m quite new to bitwarden, and very much love the application. The only slight annoyance is in my opinion, that every time I make a change, in for example my Desktop Application, and then want to use this change, in let’s say my firefox add-on, I need to manually sync both of the clients. This is not a big issue, but it just seems like a very unnecessary step. If this feature already exists I’m very sorry, but I couldn’t find it.

Feature name

• automatic sync (on all clients, after changes have been made)

Feature function

- What will this feature do differently?
In contrast to the “normal” auto-sync, which apparently synchronizes every 30 minutes, this feature will give an option to synchronize after any changes have been made.

- What benefits will this feature bring?
The benefits of this are clearly, that the user is able to work with different clients (desktop, phone, browser extension…) together – without needing to refresh every time they make a change. The already existing auto sync does not really help with this, given that I hardly ever wait 30 minutes after using my just made changes.

• Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?

• Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful?

examples of different applications that mastered this could be google docs, iCloud, or really any cloud based service.
The Cloud feature was a big factor in choosing bitwarden over other Password-Managers, it obviously still exists, but in my opinion it could be greatly improved, without much work.

Thanks for your amazing work and take care

• noah
1 Like

Perhaps it is not as fast as you would like it to be but Bitwarden does sync automatically.
For details see here: https://bitwarden.com/help/article/vault-sync

Hey Peter, thank you for your reply.
as I said, I‘m aware of that feature. However I quite sure that such an addition would bring great benefits.
Apart from that, it doesn’t seem to take much work or have any other significant disadvantages.

I like this. Users who have Bitwarden on multiple devices (or multiple browsers on the same device) can easily run into scenarios where the devices get out of synch and need to be synchronized manually.

However, the proposed solution would require some form of push messaging channel. As a temporary workaround, it would be nice if the synchronization button was more accessible in the applications. Currently it requires navigating to the settings and finding the synchronization menu (multiple clicks).

Yes that’s true!
I though a simple CMD+S Shortcut would be quite useful too, and even easier to implement than the other suggestion.

2 Likes

Indeed.
Re-build the extension and place synchronization button somewhere in the front for easier accessibility.

Amen.

No, please no more buttons on the UI!

I like @noah 's suggestion the best - a keyboard shortcut to force a sync. Easy, and no “rebuilding” of the extension required.

I would suggest two things:

1. add a shortcut, like in the desktop app
  2. require one click less to trigger the synchronization via the menus … as soon as the user clicks the circle in the screenshot, trigger it. No nested menu.