Autofill entry is not working even though ID and PSWD is correct

I’m having an issue with AutoFill from my desktop browser and I’m looking for a way to fix things. The URL, the LogonID and the Password are all valid. If I try and Autofill the ID and password the site tells me that I’ve submitted incorrect data but if I cut and past the ID and password from Bitwarden everything is fine and I log in. Is there some way to tell why valid data is being rejected if using Autofill?

Some sites use scripts to verify logins, I have noticed. Sometimes if I add a character to the end of the password that was autofilled and then hit backspace to delete it again, it will work. Unfortunately, there isn’t much else you can do with sites like these except complain to the owner that they are blocking the use of password managers.

David,
Thanks for the feedback. Your analysis seems to be correct. If I autofill it flags the entries as being in error. If I instead copy and paste the instead of selecting autofill from a freshly rendered logon screen it works just fine. If I autofill and then clear the fields and copy and past the entries their logon screen still tags the entries as being in error. In addition, once it tags the logon attempt as being in error and it clears the fields you cannot copy and paste either, you must, instead, type in the ID and password. So there’s something in particular about the Autofill that it does not like.

I suspect web designers are trying to block bots from autofilling credentials as a means to limit hacking attempts. Unfortunately, if they don’t do a good job of this, the scripts on the page also block password managers from autofilling credentials.

I don’t encounter many sites like this, but for the ones I do, I have disabled autofill in the login item. Then I just click the login box with the mouse and use a right-click or press CONTROL-SHIFT-L or COMMAND-SHIFT-L (Mac) to fill the item. That usually works since the page detects user interaction first.

1 Like

So if it works using control shift L, why wouldn’t auto fill work too? Shouldn’t auto fill be doing some sort of automation of sending a control shift L command too? It’s just happening automatically rather than user auto filling using control shift L

The command control shift L is executing an autofill action. I don’t think this has anything to do with preventing “bots.”

I noticed early on that when I have a site that will not auto-fill, the shortcut WILL fill in the UID/PW. I have a few sites that require me to use the shortcut. I actually found a shortcut that only uses two keys, CTRL&Q, so I find that much easier to use than CTRL&SHIFT&L. I’m using the Opera browser (Chrome based) and I set the shortcuts there. Unfortunately, most of the available shortcuts are already taken.

1 Like

This is probably attributed to the field names not matching. In this case you would need to use custom fields. This is different than what was discussed above.

I did set up custom fields.

EDIT: In all fairness, one of the forms that will not auto-fill with out the shortcut key is not a UID/PW field. It is filling in a text entry for a search field using custom fields. So I’m very happy this works.

Another site that does not auto-fill is the second screen for a logon to tracfone.com. I got assistance here from @grb and it was determined, in some cases the auto-fill just will not work. But the shortcut does work.

1 Like

In rare occasions I have seen this too, but it is not of the majority. The shortcut key is quick enough that it’s not too much of a nuisance.

OK. I"m a bit lost. If it is a custom field and I know the field Name is USERNAME how to you set a value for that field? I tried to read the help on this but things don’t seem to be working as I expect. I can copy the field name but there’s no field for te value to associate with that field. Can anyone explain a bit better on how to do this?

If the field name is USERNAME, then the autofill should work without a custom field — so there is something else on the webpage that is preventing the autofill from working (i.e., the culprit is not that the input fields have been given unrecognizable names).

However, to add this as a custom field, edit the vault item, scroll down to the Custom Fields section, set the custom field type to “Linked”, then click the + icon. In the custom field entry just created, change Name to USERNAME, and use the dropdown menu to select the linked data to be “Username” instead of “Password”. Then click “Save”.

1 Like

Looking at your screenshot for this comment, I see the password field is createpassword. This field is probably only when registering or creating an account as opposed to the login page. Look at the field name on the login page and use that. Obviously if tracfone is using that field for the login pages then it is what it is, but would still work.

https://www.tracfone.com/login

The value = createpwd , based on right clicking Bitwarden> Copy custom field name

So, I guess it is what it is! :grinning:

1 Like

OK. I got it working but it’s a bit weird (at least to me). If I populate the default userid and password fields in Bitwarden with the correct values the site does not like them. I can copy the values from the default fields in and paste them into the fields on screen as plain text and it will work. I figured out how to setup the custom fields and if I create the custom field names (USERNAME and password) and populate the custom field values with the same values as what’s in the default Bitwarden fields for username and password, autofill now works. I tried to clear out the default Bitwarden userid and password values and only use the custom fields but that didn’t work but if I have the default field values set and also have the custom field names and values set with the same values it does work. Perhaps someone can explain how this works.

2 Likes

Lol interesting indeed. But at least you confirmed the page where you’re logging in has that exact value. Despite of what it says in most cases it should detect it. But again there are rare instances where it won’t.

1 Like

This site maybe one of those where after doing the autofill you need to place your cursor in the userid or password box add a character and then delete it. There are a small handful of sites that are like that.

1 Like

@Moondoggy - you can try creating a linked field for the default username and password. Essentially, this allows you to create a custom field with the custom field name from the website, but it will fill that field with whatever value is in the default fields for username or password.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for their feedback as it was VERY helpful and I also learned something today which is always a benefit :grinning:. Per David H’s post I deleted the two custom TEXT fields that I mentioned in my previous post and re-created them as custom LINKED fields and that worked. Having a linked custom field for the ID and password is an advantage as I don’t have to maintain the same values in two sets of fields and that was a feature I was not aware existed. Thanks again for everyone’s contribution.

2 Likes