Auto-Fill on iOS and applications

This may be a very stupid question -in fact I know it is - but I’m gonna ask it anyway. I am struggling to understand how to get birwarden to autofill passwords for my iOS apps - so I don’t have to search for it and select it - it will do it - automatically.

It’s not a stupid question but i am going to ask if you have tried it yet?

This page should help - Auto-fill Logins on iOS | Bitwarden Help Center

Yes. I have but I am or able to have Bitwarden auto-fill my user name and passwords for my applications (such as banking apps etc).

I’m really unfamiliar with how this works and what settings will allow me to have Bitwarden auto fill my apps.

Make sense?

It does make sense if you mean you want Bitwarden to fill in things like you name, address, telephone number etc

As far as I recall the iOS app won’t do this and is limited to login details such as username and password. For that reason I always use the Autofill function built into iOS to complete personal details.

Re-reading your post above did you mean you are UNABLE to get Bitwarden to fill in your username and passwords?

If you are unable to get Bitwarden to fill in the username and passwords then the link I posted above should step you through it.

Bitwarden will occasionally fill in the passwords automatically. But never for my apps. I always end up searching for the password by name, selecting it and having it fill that way. I’m just too ignorant of how to get autofill to work both on websites and apps, and everywhere I guess.

Thanks for helping out, btw.

So if it works for your browser when logging in to website it should work for app. Although it won’t autofill in the usual sense. You have to click on the username or password field and then the keyboard should appear. There will be a Passwords” button at the top of the keyboard and clicking it should open BitWarden or give you the option to select a username and password combo.

On mine it’s not perfect with apps as Bitwarden doesn’t always detect the correct user name and password but if a key icon appears then clicking that also opens BitWarden.

It might help to post screenshots of what happens when you goto login to an app.

1 Like

So, for example, when I open my banking app, and 1st Bitwarden will never automatically fill applications - and when I select or touch the username login - it will open Bitwarden - but will not automatically bring up the saved user and password that I have created in Bitwarden.I always have to begin to type the name and it will bring up the saved info. But never automatically. It’s not that big of a deal it’s just annoying.

As I understand it to know which username and password combo it needs to autofill it uses the url stored in the Bitwarden app with the username and password.

Some of the time it doesn’t work for me and I’m unsure why that is but go through the entries in your Bitwarden store and make sure you have added the companies main url in the appropriate section. Save and test.

Thank you for clearing g this up. Could you please clarify what these different terms mean? And what they do?

Please see