Authorized Devices

Good day Bitwarden Community, I make use of bitwarden on 2 mobile phones, Web and Desktop. One of my phones got lost/stolen, isn’t there a way to ‘‘disconnect’’ or remove my vaults from that specific device? Regards

The first thing to do is to login to your Bitwarden Vault online and logout of the active session on that missing phone. Then I would change my Master Password and in my case I would also rotate the encryption key while there. As a precaution I rotate my Master Password and encryption key every six months anyway. Nobody here ever says this is necessary that is just my personal decision.

DO NOT RESET YOUR ENCRYPTION KEY UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP STORED SOMEWHERE. Backups are easy and quick but just have one to be sure.

Good advice, but to be clear: If you’re planning to rotate your encryption key (also good advice) make sure that you do not make a vault export that uses the standard encryption method. Either use password-protection, or create an unencrypted export.

Thanks guys, I will surely do that.

I always perform an unencrypted export — BUT – it goes directly into a virtual drive (both json and csv formats), which is then immediately dismounted giving me the best of both worlds. LOL!

Make sure that you do these exports from the web vault only. I have seen a report that exporting from the Desktop app directly to an encrypted drive causes the exported data to be temporarily written to the default Downloads folder, which is not encrypted unless you are using whole-drive encryption.

1 Like

I do use the web vault for exports, AND of course I always have FDE in play. Linux geek here, LOL!!

1 Like