ARM support

Does this mean it would be possible to add an arm64 build to the Flathub flatpak? Would be great if so!

1 Like

Currently I cannot install the bitwarden client on an arm64 linux because in difference to windows and macos it has no execution layer which allows running x64 binaries on an arm64 (armv8 and newer).

Same for the selfhosting - I could not use a raspberry PI for running (or any other arm64 based servers) for hosting bitwarden because it is only x64.

I think this should be made possible - arm is the upcoming architecture even in server environments. And using Apples rosetta or the layer in windows for the bw-clients results in an increased energy consumption on notebooks so a native arm64 client would be great.

And yes - I see that you’re using dotnet and mssql (whyever) so it isn’t that easy to create an arm64 enabled self-hosting solution. But at least the clients…

E.

1 Like

+1 would be great if the snap package could support arm64

$ sudo snap install bitwarden
error: snap "bitwarden" is not available on stable for this architecture (arm64) but exists on
       other architectures (amd64).
2 Likes

Feature name

• Port bitwarden server to Linux Arm64/Aarch64 platform

Feature function

• Currently bitwarden server is only available on linux amd64 platform
  • Porting to the arm64 platform will allow us to host it on arm64 servers and take advantage of arm64 resources like Oracle Cloud’s Always Free Tier (Cloud Free Tier | Oracle)

Related topics + references

Looks like base docker images that bitwarden uses are available for arm, so what’s the holdup with rebuilding binaries?

1 Like

Could you provide where you are seeing that the Bitwarden releases of Docker are supporting ARM?

As I can tell neither the server container, nor any other containers published by the Bitwarden Team currently support ARM.
You may be looking at a different Docker hub page with perhaps another similar software.

1 Like

I looked at this and checked that the base image they use does have arm versions, so that’s one less part that could cause problems.
I don’t know if server has any weird dependencies that would make it impossible to just build for arm, but it should not. Most of existing software works fine on linux with arm.

I suppose the main problem is the MSSQL database server which is not available for ARM:

2 Likes

Interesting. I can’t imagine something like a password manager using any features of the database other than just the most basic ones. If it’s the case, it should be easy to switch to another RDBMS.

Is it possible to follow the build instructions here and end up with something usable in phosh?

Second this, like bitwarden-arm64 or something in terms of flavors.

A year later and still no arm 64 support. Please sort this out Bitwarden. Raspberry pi’s are among the most popular machines. Need this yesterday!

1 Like

I did it, but it was a pain. Took few hours and needed the source code editing.

Congrats! @pavel-krasnov - any chance you could post your recipe?