Apple Hide My Email Integration with Bitwarden

User story : Apple’s Hide My Email works to generate email addresses that forward to a primary source address. This provides security and organization for generating accounts behind a layer of obfuscation. What is Hide My Email? - Apple Support

Bitwarden already offers integration into a number of services that provide this same functionality referenced at your help page : Add Privacy and Security Using Email Aliases With Bitwarden | Bitwarden Blog

Ask: Bitwarden integrate into this Apple offering so that email addresses can be created in browser/vault, saved to the Bitwarden locker as a login medium and forwarded to source address.

As of right now, this is a two step process in using both services. A user has to navigate to the Apple ‘Hide My Email’ feature, create an email alias, save that email alias, open Bitwarden, create a new object, paste newly created apple email alias in and save settings.

2 Likes

Hi, I understand exactly what you mean. I would also like to see that integration, but it is not technically possible. Apple does not allow external applications to generate and manage Hide My Email aliases.

The best alternative that I can recommend to you is SimpleLogin, if such an integration is important to you.

1 Like

Might be worth looking over the iCloud Hide My Email extension. Perhaps it could serve as a starting point or a reference for Bitwarden integration.

Specifically, this file: iCloudClient.ts

1 Like

I would like to add into this, but expand on options. Rather than Apple specifically, you could add other providers, or even begin an internal hosting system. The automated generation and binding would be the main points here to add to user simplicity.

Proton does this already with bring your own domain as well. It would be great if Bitwarden could somehow integrate with this. Generate an email address server side and bind it to the login item. I’m not sure all of the specifics of Proton’s system (expiration, randomness, etc.) but it would certainly intrigue me. SimpleLogin as mentioned above is also an interesting one, and something I’ll be looking into further myself.

SimpleLogin and addy.io already work with Bitwarden. Or do you mean something else?

1 Like

Nope, I just wasn’t fully aware of it. I’m still new to using SimpleLogin and haven’t had much chance to really dive into it yet. Also haven’t ventured into Bitwarden a strong amount lately, but I will definitely check this out more.
Thanks!