Any way to (reliably) import from Enpass?

As subj says. I noticed BW doesn’t support direct import from Enpass. I’d like to import everything from Enpass into BW. I have many entries with custom fields, and all sort of types, including custom types (Enpass has a pretty rich list of types and also allows to create custom types).

Has anyone successfully exported an Enpass database and imported into BW? What where your steps?

Hi @bitbar, Bitwarden does support importing from Enpass, either via json or csv.

• Go to Tools and click on Import
  • Select the Enpass importer (json or csv)
  • Either paste or upload the exported enpass file (matching the selected format)
  • Import

For further information, please also have a look at Import Data to your Vault | Bitwarden Help & Support

Kinds Regards
Daniel

I noticed only after I posted the above that the online web client is much more feature rich than the desktop version, so please ignore the above. I did hit a problem in that it refused to import because I have fields that are over 10000 characters long (haven’t looked yet at the code to see which db backend you use, but surely most handle blobs longer than that nowadays).

@djsmith85 Can you confirm that the json data exported by my Enpass is client-side encrypted before pushed to the remote server?

Edit: Yes, it is (hope the question didn’t offend you): jslib/enpassJsonImporter.ts at 24fe836032354d4ec39435776e54dd0995e1b389 · bitwarden/jslib · GitHub

p.s. A bit surprised to see that I must use the web client if I want to change my master password. I think i can see some security vulnerabilities with that – relying on unaltered javascript code and remote server is generally not a good idea (there was also a thread about this iirc). I’ll look at this later. Right now I don’t have a good feeling about some features only being available through the web client.

Hi @bitbar,

The Web Vault is indeed End-to-End encrypted, the same as our other clients.

For field sizes:

• Secure Notes can contain 10K characters (after encryption, so it may be slightly less before encryption)
  • Custom fields and Passwords can hold 5K characters after encryption

I’ve already found a nasty bug for Enpass import: android app autofill data is wrongly translated, i.e. you should translate the android://[email protected] fields into URIs as androidapp://com.app.name but instead you just leave it as a custom field with the original value android://[email protected]. This in turn means no Android app has auto-fill any more and every one needs to be manually searched, then auto-filled + saved.

Android was the main reason I wanted to switch away from Enpass :frowning:

How quickly do you guys review and incorporate PRs if I was to push a PR on github to fix this? On second thought, one of you would be much quicker than me to fix it (I’d need time to get up to speed with your codebase). I guess you’ll want me to post an issue on Github … edit: Enpass importer not properly importing androidapp:// fields - full description of fix · Issue #526 · bitwarden/jslib · GitHub

The way to import Enpass into Bitwarden (via its Web vault) is to export the Enpass vault as a .json file. Bitwarden understands Enpass’ Categories, as Types, and will import Enpass’ Tags as matching named Folders. Enpass entries associated with multiple Tags, Bitwarden only recognizes the first, left-hand, tag.

Be aware, Bitwarden handles each .json file as a completely new set of information so importing a second, updated .json file, will create duplicate folders and entries. It will not update the existing entries.

Alignment of data is generally accurate, but Bitwarden occasionally misaligns login usernames and e-mail addresses, if the two are different.

I can only speak of Bitwarden Web vault and Windows desktop app, I don’t use the mobile apps. Also, I currently use the free version of Bitwarden so, while attachments, within an Enpass .json file, are simply ignored, I can’t say whether they would correctly import into a Bitwarden paid account. Keep in mind, Enpass’ attachments could total more than Bitwarden’s 1 GB limit.