Android fill service offers too many options for applications

Almost all of them, to be precise. LastPass’ fill service did offer filtered list - relevant to the active application.

Did I missed something?

Did you enter the correct URI for each application? If “yes” Bitwarden should only offer the credentials relevant to that application.

I am trying to switch over from LastPass, where everything worked as expected. All I did was import the export file from LastPass.

Where should I enter that URI, and how do I get one for an Android application?

In Bitwarden open any database entry and take a look at the section from the screenshot. The first entry is for a web browser. So if Bitwarden detects the website mentioned under URI 1 it will offer the credentials that belong to that dataset. The URI 2 in this case is for the Amazon Music app.

To be on the same starting point with you I removed this URI 2 from Bitwarden on my device.
Now follow these steps:

• Start the app

• If you are already signed in and you DO HAVE YOUR CREDENTIALS ON HAND sign out.
    If you do not have access to your credentials do not sign out. Instead select another app.

• Select to sign in

• Tap into the field for the username or email-address and a small popup should appear within a few moments. If you accidentally double tapped and the popup disappeared again tap into the password field and it will re-appear. If this happened in an app that only has one field (as the one for the password is on a later page) give it a moment than again tap into the field for the username. Sometimes it might be necessary to tap the background and then again into the field for the username or to go back one step before returning again to the sign up page.

• If you are not already logged into Bitwarden instead of Go to my vault it might say Vault is locked. The only difference is that once you tap this popup you will have to log into Bitwarden.

• Next you will see a screen telling you something like:
    There are no items in your vault for com.amazon.mp3.

• If your credentials are not already inside Bitwarde tap onto ADD AN ITEM. Then the URI will already be in the form that opens up next.
    If instead your credentials are already stored in Bitwarden tap the icon showing the magnifying glass in the top right corner. Search the dataset that contains your credentials, select it and then select the option Auto-fill and save.

Done!

2 Likes

My problem is, in the step:

I get list of 500 logins (mixed for applications and for web sites). I don’t get it, why.
The right one for given app is among them, I just have to scroll the list a lot to get to it (which is super annoying).

Just an idea: Do you have any entries in that URI section?
Perhaps change the Default URI Match Detection (see: Settings -> Options) to Starts with.

After setting the default to “starts with” I get no matches anywhere I tried. I am even more confused right now, because every login has the URI entered (and they worked in LastPass, so they must be correct). So either LastPass does something very strange with the URIs, or the export/import path messed up something.

But this is something to start with.
You could try the other options for Default URI Match Detection.

If that does not help my recommendation is this:
Leave the Default URI Match Detection set to anything but what you had at first (what again is the default-setting?) and everytime you actually do log into an app or website you adjust it as I described above. If I were you I definetely would not try to update all of them at once. Take your time, no-one is rushing you.

And by the way: Take a look at the actual URI(s) you currently have. Can you give us an example of the URI(s) you have stored inside Bitwarden? Look for something common app or website. Another hint: Do not just copy-paste them. First select Edit, then copy-paste the URI(s).

Oh swell… That makes the transition quite painful…

Can do.

• Facebook: http://www.facebook.xn--com;m-.facebook.com
  • Google: https://google.com
  • Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/218987600618865428/

Ok, now I see the problem - trash data. LastPass probably puts there the first URI it lands on, and uses set of rules to match the login. =(

Thank you for your time.