Allow copying of default Identity fields

4 years anniversary of this feature request is coming up :tada:

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @mloureiro I’ll bring it up with the team :+1:

3 Likes

The (surprising) absence of this feature just came to my attention, as I was filling in a contact form for which autofill did not work (because whoever designed the form used nonstandard field IDs, like fox-c1160-textfield5). “No problem,” I thought – “I’ll just open the identity item and copy the information using the copy button” – I was surprised to see no functionality whatsoever available on the View Item screen for the default fields of an identity item.

I suppose a workaround would be to duplicate each default field using a “linked” custom field, but this would be a cumbersome approach, and it would still require me to scroll down past the default “ITEM INFORMATION” section to get to the custom fields.

I have added my vote to this request.

2 Likes

I will also chime in that this is a necessary feature. Autofill just doesn’t work that well for identities and passport information on iphone from bitwarden. This is a mild pain, but becomes a major pain when you realize you can even copy the data into a form without first hitting edit, then long pressing, selecting all, copying, then pasting. Very not intuitive.

1 Like

Only specific fields like username and password or custom fields are selectable/copyable in my Android app (Google Pixel 6 and Android 13). It would be nice to also be able to copy, for example, a passport number or similar, which is currently impossible without editing an item and then copying from the text box.

1 Like

Please note that this is not limited to the Android app. The Firefox extension (both in dropdown and sidebar mode) have the same exact problem of not having the copy icon.

Also not limited to Identities: default fields in Cards do not have the copy icon as well.

1 Like

This is a joke, there is no reason not to make every field copyable and should be very easy to implement .

idk how big is the team working on Bitwarden but given its foss even someone in the community can probably do it for them.

5 years really?

2 Likes

Hey @Abandon1Password there are many open feature requests and the team is currently working away on the 2022 roadmap, including work to support manifest V3, feel free to drop a contribution proposal here if you are interested in working on the PR.

1 Like

Bitwarden password manager should have an option to copy any element from the Identity or Card type.

It is very useful to be able to press a button to copy important information.

This is a very small thing to add and it would be a big win in improving user experience. Using 1Password for work I see quite the difference with UX compared to Bitwarden.

Thank you.

1 Like

When I open an Identity on the Bitwarden Android app, I see values like Passport number, Phone, etc. But I can’t copy it to the clipboard! No buttons, and even via long tap I can’t select the text to copy!!

This makes Identities on mobile devices totally unusable! Please fix this!

1 Like

I don’t understand why this is so hard to add? It seems like a basic thing. It’s incredibly frustrating to use your app and add-on and seeing a basic feature being missing. I have to edit to be able to copy. I’d understand if this was the first year, but as a paying customer for many years I don’t understand how it’s missing. This post is 5 years old. Surely adding a simple COPY button doesn’t take 5 years to add.
:tired_face::face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Dear Bitwarden Team,

I am writing to request the addition of a copy button for the standard fields within an identity-entry in Bitwarden. Currently, only custom fields (identity-entry) have this functionality, while the standard fields (e.g., name, email address) require manual copying.

Having a copy button for standard fields would greatly improve the user experience, making it easier and more efficient to manage and copy information within identities.

Thank you for considering this feature request. Your continuous efforts in enhancing Bitwarden are appreciated.

Best regards,
Samuel

This is a small change with big impact, any updates?

Almost submitted a new request for this. Custom Fields are easily copy/pastable and as many above have noted, being able to quickly copy/paste default fields would be great. Is it a security thing or just a “haven’t got around to it yet” thing?

I know Android has an option to allow screen capture, which would be a work around, but that feels much less secure in principle.

Is it a security thing or just a “haven’t got around to it yet” thing?

Definitely the latter, as the functionality already exists for the user/password fields :expressionless:

I know Android has an option to allow screen capture

I hope that the app disallows screen capture, as that would be a security flaw.
The same way bank apps, don’t allow you to take a screenshot or have any on top of app/feature.

Not being able to copy my address to paste when ordering stuff online is probably my biggest gripe with Bitwarden - it’s a no-brainer!

Just a note - for address in particular it should allow me to copy each portion separately (line 1, line 2 etc.)

1 Like

Same here. I really need it for the phone number field, because that is the one I need to copy regularly (I can’t remember my own phone number), but it would be useful for all the fields.