Add an additional Multi-Line Text Field

I would like to add an additional multi-line text field (like the field “Notes”).
This field I would name “Registration Data” and enter there all information about registration.
This is different to the normal “Notes” (so I would like to have an additional field for that)
I have such a custom field in KeePass and when I switch to BW, then a multi-line text field is required.

3 Likes

This is something that would be very useful for things like SSH keys. In LastPass I have my public key in the “Notes” and it has a separate text field for the private key.

Trying out Bitwarden as a LastPass replacement and I’m liking it a lot, but really missing that feature from LastPass.

(Not sure what the policy on bumping is here, but the feature request is still relevant.)

4 Likes

I started to use Bitwarden productively and also adding data from KeePass.

For all entries that have 2FA enabled, I have a list with 2FA Recovery Codes.
Here I need a Hidden Multi-Line Text Field (like the password field) to store them.

Creating a single field for every code would be ineffective.
For GitHub I would have to add 16 fields and also label them (“2FA Recovery Code 1”, “2FA Recovery Code 2” and so on).

1 Like

Hello @tgreer

When can we expect this feature?
Alternatively you just need to allow line-breaks in the current fields, so I can have a multi-line password (hidden) field.

OLLI

1 Like

Currently I am switching from KeePassXC to Bitwarden and here I add 2FA for all services where it is available (up to now 15 websites in KeePass, but I think in total about 40).

Most services show a list of 2FA Recovery Codes that I should download.
Here one real example (numbers are anonymized):

* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999
* 9999-9999

I made a new “Password” field and pasted the codes there, but this is just a single-line field.
Of cause I could add 12 new Password-Fields and call them “2FA Recovery Code #1”, “2FA Recovery Code #2” and so on.
But pasting them in one field would be much easier (like in the “Notes” field).

So please implement one of the following:

• allow line-breaks in the current fields (normal text field and password field)
  • add a “Multi-Line Text Field” and a “Multi-Line Hidden field”

In my opinion the first way (to accept line breaks) would be the easiest way, because it is less to develop and I can keep the data in the current fields.

2 Likes

For storing backup, I use the notes field just like you said. Having multi-line hidden field would be great because it wouldn’t expose the backup codes. It would just hide them.

Then you are welcomed to vote for this feature!

1 Like

Sorry, if I post here again:
I activated 2FA for the Bitwarden Community (this forum) and here I get 10 recovery codes and each code has 32 characters.

Here my codes (anonymized):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So this is a very huge block of text to store in a single-line text field!

2 Likes

You can post as much as you want, you have some good ideas. Try to keep everything in one single post, if that’s not possible just add another post. No worries!

Not having multi-lines custom fields (hidden / visible) is a big drawback when coming from Keepass.

I am using them in all the above situations (other user’s comments)

I currently need to put them in the Notes field and I feel really UNSAFE about Bitwarden because of that.

Feature name

• Multi-Line Custom Text Field

Feature function

• Modify the existing or add a new custom field type that allows for multi-line text.
  • Use Case: Storage of GPG keys. There are some cases where you may have a site-specific GPG key (e.g. GitHub key using your noreply address).

My specific use case here is the ability to store 2FA recovery codes. When we generate recovery codes for accounts, we generally get multiple one-use 2FA recovery codes. Today I have to save these elsewhere because the only multi-line field in BitWarden is the notes field which cannot be setup to “hide” the text by default. It’s just that 2FA recovery codes are short and having them “hidden” keeps them away from someone looking over you shoulder (if that happens).

Essentially, it would be nice to have the ability to add a hidden multi-line custom field or have the notes field set up as a hidden field.

1 Like

Currently I am facing the same problem.
It would be nice if implemented.

That would be very valuable addition as I found such feature attractive exactly for 2FA backup codes.

I’d also like to have this to store plaintext files like ssh-keys etc.

It would be great to have that feature.

I think that Add 'Recovery Code' section to vault items is very relevant to this topic.

I agree with the previous sentiments. This is a must-have feature. In my humble opinion, I think it would be best to remove the “Hidden” custom field and instead of adding a new custom field type for multi-line strings, just have 1 text field that does it all (see below).

Custom Field Types

• Text
    • Should support text with or without newlines. There’s no reason to have separate “Text” and “Multiline” fields.
    • Should have a “Hidden” checkbox next to the field which will make its data hidden by default.
  • Boolean
  • Linked

I know this is off-topic but also, PLEASE hide the TOTP Authenticator key by default when editing an entry (add an eyeball symbol next to it like the password field). This is an extremely sensitive value and there is literally no way to hide it while editing a vault item.

1 Like

From the Android app you can actually create multi-line text fields.
I just pasted my Slack 2fa backup codes into a hidden text field, they show one code per line.

I think this might be a bug in the app though.

This would be perfect! I would use it to store my SSH credentials.