View attachments without downloading

The whole attachment system needs a re-make, I think. We should be able to use it as a file system, with drag and drop and previews. The current system is extremely impractical.

5 Likes

Iā€™d really like to replace my shoddy cloud storage of my IDs with this but I really want to just access the photos of them and be able to look at them instead of filling out the fields.

New user as of today, from LP. The inability to view an attachment without downloading it is a significant drawback. All I want to do is see it, itā€™s almost always a JPG. I need to see my DL, or SS card, or Passport, or whatever.

PLEASE donā€™t make me download it. Clunky as heck.

I do understand if you want to limit what can be viewed, as the attachments could be dozens of file types. So start with the low-hanging fruitā€“JPG, GIF, maybe PDF.

2 Likes

Is there any ETA on this yet? If so, I would love to know it. Iā€™m sure there are a lot of folks who would like to know as well. Keep up the good work.
Thanks,
-Steve S.

Not just yet, but we have some awesome new team members that are helping us move even faster!

3 Likes

@tgreer @cscharf These two feature requests seem similar.

Hi guys. Thanks for Bitwarden, itā€™s a great and very ergonomic tool, does almost everything I need. And it works great.

The only thing why Iā€™ve cancelled my subscription is how working with files implemented now. It is simply inconvenient, there is no preview for attached files (such as scans or whatever) And if you have a document that youā€™d like to keep in encrypted storage you should download it everytime from attachment and it is frustrating. Also when you download a file on your smartphone (android in my case) you canā€™t attach it to a mail or do anything with it. I understand that if you download the file, itā€™s security is not bitwardenā€™s concern anymore, but sometimes you do need this and I would prefer to store some sensitive docs in bitwardenā€™s vault rather than any other cloud.

And preview of files (at least images and PDFs) in web interface and on smartphone without downloading them would be extremely handy.

Anyway, many thanks for a great tool. Iā€™d be happy to renew my transcription if there would be more options for file management.
Cheers

2 Likes

I totally agree.

Totally agree. I find it impractical to take any advantage of the 1GB secure file storage, given how cumbersome it is to interact with the files. Here is what I learned from [Using file attachments] (https://bitwarden.com/help/article/attachments/) page (confirmed by the Bitwarden support as well):

1. This is the only way one can try to ā€œuse upā€ the 1GB storage for a paid account, and
  2. In order to update the content of a file attachment, one needs to download the attachment manually (find a safe local place to store it) ==> then, edit it ==> then, upload it/attach it back to the Secure Note.
  3. In order to ā€œupdateā€ the securely stored file, well, one needs to delete the previous attachment in order to ā€œoverwriteā€ it.

Anyways, I find the $10/Year price justifiable, as I can use Duo to authenticate 2FA login (and Duo is free for personal use with their cellphone app).

Hi.

Please check a feature request: ability to preview standard (pics, pdf etc.) file types in mobile app.

My vote of support for this feature implies the preview ability regardless of the platform (mobile apps in your case) - I need it more on my desktop / browser.

1 Like

Most of the need for attachment viewers could be eliminated if the Notes field would support Markdown

This is very useful when viewing file without downloading, and prevent file to store on any end device.

1 Like

Have just upgraded to premium for this feature assuming it works the same way as Lastpass app. Not really useful in itā€™s current state as needing to download the file before viewing it sort of defeats the purpose.

2 Likes

Same here. For me this is a reason to cancel the upgrade.

TBH I would have skipped this product if I knew you couldnā€™t view attachments.

Massive oversite.

Should have researched it a bit more before getting premium - but this function should have ben obvious.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m sorry to say that I had to go with 1Password since this is an important basic functionality without which I cannot be using Bitwarden or any other password manager that does not support securely viewing my attached images.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out for it being added :slight_smile:

1 Like

For some reason - I couldnā€™t get the shortcut to workā€¦

Had to use ā€œshortcut inputā€ (running iOS 14.6 beta 3)ā€¦ now it worksā€¦

1 Like

Curious if the devs picked this up and if theyā€™re working on it? Itā€™s very much needed at this point.

3 Likes

Thanks for asking! Itā€™s absolutely on our radar, but not in planning yet.

If youā€™re ever curious about what weā€™re working on, all our commits are available on GitHub:

3 Likes