Vault Item Labels (tags)

I’d love to have the ability to tag items with a custom tag. Then be able to search for those tags.

You can see this in action and how well it works with sysPass.

Related GitHub issue: Subfolders · Issue #9 · bitwarden/server · GitHub

21 Likes

I’ll reproduce some notes I had written on the GitHub issue because some users don’t see why tags are so useful:

• Can tag entries with a phone number, so if you change numbers, you can easily track which services’ 2-step authentication needs to be updated.
  • Can tag entries with a credit card number, so you can update your subscription services easily when a card expires
22 Likes

I work for an ISP and we also offer managaed services. We have numerous routers, switches of our own to manage as well as customers. I may tag something as firewall, and seach for that tag to pull up a list of say 6 different firewalls.

9 Likes

@fonefoo Absolutely, I’m in exactly the same boat. Also, some users are… bad at managing credentials and I wind up keeping their credentials for them… :no_mouth:

So sometimes I need to pull up a bunch of Google accounts (select the “Google” and “Other Credentials” tag) but most of the time I don’t want to see these accounts at all (select “Google” and “Personal”).

4 Likes

I have another user case. I recently moved my email from one protonmail account to another (because… pm.me is in beta testing :tada:). I easily found all accounts using old email… Moved them in about 45 mins, proud of myself. :smirk: Aaaaand then I realised that username for some sites is not an email, so I don’t have a clue what else I need to move. :sob: Excluding few accounts which I know are not important enough, I need to check about 50 accounts to be absolutely sure I moved everything.

Moral of my sad story, I’m gonna put email as a note as I go through them now. I was considering adding emoji, but I would need to rely on not making a mistake what emoji goes for particular email. I could just as easily use tags for better visibility.

5 Likes

@eskela Just a comment on keeping information like this in notes… Notes are not indexed (because they are encrypted, from what I gather from discussions on other projects), so you will not be able to search for information contained in the notes. :no_mouth:

Basically just another reason for tags, I guess. And folders will not solve issues like these at all, unfortunately.

6 Likes

You are absolutely right, but it was easier to go through and add this as a note now (and convert when tags are here), than go through all of them again in the future. :grin:

2 Likes

Well, you could try to export bitwarden data to a CSV file and then search for your email inside this folder :innocent: (just trolling : not secure, but this could be a workaround if you really need to).

Add some tags to my vault entry will be a very great feeture !
We’re an agency and it will be great to just “tag” our entry with the name of client, the type of password etc.
It will be better than folders ! Really !

2 Likes

Agree. Tags are far more flexible than “folders.” Logins and other security information clearly can have more than one characterization. “Finance + Travel + Family.” Etc. If a person finds multiple tags confusing, they can simply use just one. Presto, tags then will act just like folders.

10 Likes

i really hope this is a top priority, i need the ability to search for things via tags, something i loved about 1password.

7 Likes

This feature request has been knocking around since 2016. Founder kspearrin inferred this had been added to the pipeline in Jan 2017.

Where does this feature sit in the priorities list? Are there any hurdles impeding progress?

1 Like

This would be very nice to know!

And it would be awesome if this would be full text search. Tags right now aren’t, so you’ve got to type them exactly like you wrote them in the password file.

@kspearrin Any update on this? I was under the impression that tags were being worked on before folders, now folders have been implemented and we are still waiting on tags. Has this feature been dropped?

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing. I really want the tags to be implemented. The only update on this was pointed back to this forum so I don’t believe anything has been implemented yet. I would love to see this though.

Tagging would be super helpful. We manage many clients with many of the same note/login names and it would be awesome if we could tag them to easily identify them as belonging to a particular category.

1 Like

Agreeing. This is the one feature i miss from my previous app (https://app.keeweb.info/)

1 Like

As @kspearrin said in Sub-folders (nested folders) to organize vault it will be implemented as tag but when?

I would really love to have a kinda roadmap …

1 Like

This would be very useful. I would like to create “phone” and “address” tags in order to keep track of which accounts store my phone number and/or address. Right now I can add these keywords as notes, but it is less convenient than tags because you have to type out the word each time and make sure that you don’t misspell it.

5 Likes