Support importing password from Safari 15

Feature name:

Importing password from Safari 15

Feature Description

Nowadays, Safari supports exporting password in an Apple ID; however, Bitwarden have not supported that yet. I compared the export structure of Safari with that one of Chrome, and I found it pretty similar. Thus, I decided to write the importer that is based on Chrome’s.

For more information about this structure, see my Pull Request of that, which has annotated it well.

Clients / Repos Affected:

Timeline to completion (estimate):

Has completed: feat: add an importer for Safari (CSV) by pan93412 · Pull Request #512 · bitwarden/jslib · GitHub

3 Likes

Thanks, @pan93412!

We’re definitely ready for macOS Monterey :wink:

cc @eliykat

1 Like

Thanks @pan93412! I’ll review your code on Github and leave any comments there - I’ll aim to get to it in the next couple of weeks.

2 Likes

I was thinking it would be a very straightforward change to make after importing from Safari into Bitwarden by altering the Safari format to the format documented here:

Condition a Bitwarden .csv or .json | Bitwarden Help & Support

Glad I spotted this - although also a bit disappointed as it’s a contribution I probably could have made :sweat_smile:

Is this live now? Any further changes required? Is there any documentation needing updated to support the feature? Possibly I could help out with that.

Hi @deenairn,

the contribution of @pan93412 has been merged and tested but has not been released yet. This will most likely be included in the next release.

If you want to help out, you could possibly add an article on our help-site. I think @fschillingeriv would appreciate that.

If you do decide to write something up, please have a look at the instructions to run the help-site locally here and also check the Contribution Guidelines

Kind regards,
Daniel

Closing this as it has been included in the latest release.

Thank you @pan93412 for your great work on this.