Support for libsecret's dbus API

It would be great to be able to use Bitwarden as a system-wide password manager, though it probably makes sense to create it as a separate service which talks to the remote REST API.

4 Likes

It would definitely be amazing if the Bitwarden desktop application implemented the https://specifications.freedesktop.org/secret-service/ service so that all the Linux applications that use this interface can store/retrieve passwords/secrets could use Bitwarden. (On most systems the interface is usually implemented by libsecret/gnome-keyring)

11 Likes

Yes, I just came here for the same, my use case is to also be able to use bitwarden as a credential helper for git.

5 Likes

As example of dbus API implementation, we can lookup links to commits in Make KPXC databases accessible via libsecret/DBus KeePassXC issue, that implement this feature recently in 2.5 release.

6 Likes

I’d just like to voice my support for this cause. I’m currently using keepassx for a few select places and Bitwarden for everything else. It seems a little silly to me that things should be this way. @mvdan’s bitw makes great strides, but it is indeed using the unofficial web API to communicate.

Either providing us with a library we can extend from (bitwarden’s cli tool could benefit from this too!), or formalising the public use of A web API (I understand why devs might not want to formalise and deal with the tech debt involved in supporting the public use of THE web API), would help us build much deeper integration with Bitwarden.

Yes, it’s possible that grifty opportunists could try to exploit APIs to build premium features which rival Bitwarden’s own, but that’s already possible today - bitw is currently proving this. But surely the opportunity for growth associated with deep integration of Bitwarden into all sorts of software, as well as at the (user-space) OS level must surely outweigh any potential negatives overall, no? It could even provide an entry into the encrypted file storage space à la Keybase.

Another idea: why not make the web API available to premium users? This is how Spotify has allowed an OSS ecosystem to spring up around it, while protecting itself from legal snafus. I note that organisations already have RESTful access, so this model seems to already be working for Bitwarden?

6 Likes

Another idea: why not make the web API available to premium users? This is how Spotify has allowed an OSS ecosystem to spring up around it, while protecting itself from legal snafus. I note that organisations already have RESTful access , so this model seems to already be working for Bitwarden?

I would fully support this. I’m a premium Spotify user and am using the API for some custom scripts in my Linux setup. Would love to use my Bitwarden premium subscription in the same way.

I was considering on writing something like bitw, but for multiple password managers. A replacement for gnome-keyring that would use Bitwarden, OnePassword, LastPass, etc. This would help in allowing for such projects to proceed.

3 Likes

I’m genuinely confused what the purpose of the desktop client is without this.

4 Likes

Hi folks - from a user perspective of bitwarden, it’s something that I genuinely thought would be available already.
Phrases on the website like:
‘store and share sensitive data from any device’
‘Align to the highest security standards’
made me think great - this will be my one-stop shop for passwords, keys, cards and everything.

I think this is an opportunity that Bitwarden can’t miss out on really - it would secure Bitwarden’s place as the ONLY Password Manager someone needs in their life!

2 Likes

Yes - this is essentially an Obvious feature - and you can bet that it would further increase Linux uptake. The fact of Open Source + ability to use it as a system keychain would mean that users could actually store passwords securely and have software that requires login details actually auto-fill, without risk.

This is even more significant now that Linux Mobile is on the scene, and it would actually really be a boost if it could have similar native support like we get with all password managers on Android and IOS.

3 Likes

I’m just moving from Mac to Linux and was wandering how to replace Apple Keychain.
I did some research, it seems bitwarden is a very cool alternative, but there is a piece missing: support for “keyring” in linux (a.k.a. secret storage) that actually does with apple keychain does, more or less.
I found this package: bitwarden-keyring
https://pypi.org/project/bitwarden-keyring/0.1.0/

It seems to me that this should answers our questions, isn’t it?
Did some of you tried it?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it, I suppose my question would be, if it needs unlocking, will it prompt me with a UI via that method?

Honestly Bitwarden, I was thinking about switching from lastpass and this is the ONE feature that would ensure I did. Because without it, for me, it’s just another browser plugin password manager. Why should I spend all that time migrating if it’s not solving any new problems. I doubt I give bitwarden any more thought for a few years, because if Implementing the Linux Standard API for password managers isn’t important…

@kspearrin you mentioned typescript, I found a dbus connector, so it’s just a matter of knowing what messages to send/receive yes? @types/dbus - npm (linking to the types as it also links to the lib, and there were quite a few). I’m not sure if the current gnome implementation uses 0.1, or the 0.2 (see link posted above, I’m quota-ed on links) working draft. Wouldn’t be hard to reach out and ask. If it was implemented you could join the working group to influence, assuming they’re still working on it at all. KDE has never gotten kwallet done.

According to the Arch Wiki, it looks like a set of pam.so’s would have to be developed to fully replace. That might be a matter of simply copying and tweaking the gnome ones though, I suspect that’s true… to be honest I’m not entirely certain why the gnome one’s aren’t generic/parameterized. Maybe they could be with a PR.

Still hoping for this as in KDE is coming the integration with that API: org.freedesktop.secrets DBus API initial support (!11) · Merge requests · Frameworks / KWallet Framework · GitLab

2 Likes

I wonder if the problem is that the discussion originated from a bug report for browser plugin, but the feature makes more sense in desktop app. On the other hand, since the desktop app is an Electron app, it probably doesn’t make that much difference in implementation.

1 Like

Like so many others, I would really like for Bitwarden to provide the OS password manager that other apps use, and not be this layer on top of another password manager as it is right now, where other apps use the OS password manager and users miss out on all the Bitwarden goodness :confused:

2 Likes

one more here. I had to start using Ubuntu for work, and choose the KDE version, but it lacks out-of-the-box Secret Service implementation. Since I’m already a BitWarden user, it’d be great if BW would have this implemented.

(edit) also, I really think this should get a priority review, considering a competitor (KeePassXC) provides this: KeePassXC Secrets Service — C3PB

2 Likes

here to show my support on this. Bit-warden is a leader in password management for users and I honestly thought it already had this implemented. I don’t use gnome or a set desktop environment, keyring management is a functionality i have to add myself and id rather implement it with a product i trust and already use otherwise i’ll have to move to keepass permanently.

For the record, this github repo exposes bitwarden as DBUS secret-service GitHub - mvdan/bitw: Minimalist BitWarden client

2 Likes

GitHub - quexten/goldwarden: A feature-packed Bitwarden compatible desktop integration another client the integrates with the system

1 Like

I would really enjoy this feature! Also the Reddit Communities seem to not come up with a better solution so far.