“Sunburst”/SolarWinds Hack and BitWarden

I know that our passwords are encrypted on Microsoft Azure cloud services, but still…

So it seems that some Microsoft Azure cloud services may be compromised by hackers as stated in this article:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-breach/exclusive-suspected-russian-hacking-spree-reached-into-microsoft-sources-idUSKBN28R2ZJ

So once again, nothing is 100% secure, and I think that BitWarden should at least make self hosting easier to common folks, this is a little bit to complicated for most of people, and I don’t know if any additional costs are involved.

I just don’t like to worry every day about my passwords, or anything else for that matter.

Of course. However, given that the password database is encrypted before leaving your machine and stored in that form on Microsoft’s computers, our passwords remain pretty safe. If you feel that the methods of encryption used by Bitwarden are insecure then there is a bigger problem than any individual’s passwords.

[quote=“Daitarn, post:1, topic:16258”]and I think that BitWarden should at least make self hosting easier to common folks, this is a little bit to complicated for most of people , and I don’t know if any additional costs are involved.
[/quote]

Part of the additional cost is the time in setting up and maintaining a suitably safe store yourself. Running such a store properly is complicated and in my view most of us are best not doing it.

For background, I first programmed a computer in 1980 and have run a small IT business in the past. However, I would not wish to run my own password storage and keep it up to date. Even with my experience I think that Bitwarden are better able to run such storage more safely than I could.

If I had the time and inclination I might set-up a self-hosted instance for a bit of fun. but I have better things to do with my time and I wouldn’t want to run one live with my passwords in it.

1 Like