[SOLVED] Unable to Login via Chrome extension Using Custom URL

Hello all,

I’ve just setup Bitwarden for my organization on our private server.

The url is something like: https://6Ug4sFg-bit.customdomain.network

I’ve been successfully able to login on the desktop app and on the custom url Bitwarden homepage itself.

However, seems like the way chrome extension has been scripted, it thinks the URI is an invalid URI and thus doesn’t even attempt to try to reach the server in order to verify the login credentials.

Edit: Android app logs in just fine.

I suppose “.network” TLD is unsupported?

This is the extension error log:

Here’s how the error looks like on the login page of the extension:

Hello @reggie - welcome! And sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the Chrome extension.

Out of curiosity, did you triple check that you entered the correct Server URL in the extension and android app? If you made a mistake, you would likely get exactly the same error.

What happens if you use your IP address in the Server URL instead of the name?

@dh024 Hello there!

did you triple check that you entered the correct Server URL

Yes

What happens if you use your IP address in the Server URL instead of the name?

The server is hosting multiple URLs, not just the bitwarden docker package.
But since you asked, here is the error after using the server IP address instead of the URL:

I would contact the Bitwarden CS Team then - I am sure they can help:

@dh024 Sounds like an unworthy hassle. I’m not gonna bother.

I can’t wait for 1-2weeks until they patch the issue just so that I can have my team start using the password locker service.

Whomever scripted the chrome browser extension must have little knowledge about how URLs work or the new TLDs.

That’s a shame, particularly because I doubt your assumptions or accusations are correct. Bitwarden doesn’t resolve DNS requests, so there is obviously something else going on.

@dh024 Merely changing the URL to bitwarden.customdomain.network made the extensions login successfully.

I don’t know if my assumptions are correct either, since they’re just assumptions, but this is definitely a bug and I’m now experienced enough with this situation to confidently assert this.

Moreover, I’ll express my disposition again but using different words - I don’t have the time or motivation to report the bug to the devs, if you wanna do it, you can.

Well reggie, I am glad that you got it working. Obviously it wasn’t a bug with the TLD given that you only changed the subdomain name. :rofl:

You must have just typed in that crazy random subdomain name wrong somewhere.

I’ll also mark this one as SOLVED.

2 Likes