Show collection and folder ownership of an item in list view

Sorry, I missed it since I first thought that it’s missing only in the search results and then saw it’s missing everywhere. Can you merge this if possible?

For this special task we have a Trey :wink:
And this is how it’s done: @tgreer : Merge, please.

merge

2 Likes

Looks like my life: Expectations meet reality.

1 Like

Is there a way to see which collection an item belongs to? Currently, I would have to click Edit on each and every item to see which collection it belongs, rather than just clicking on an item.

The more Organizations I create the more I have a problem identifiying collections.

For example I have one organization per customer - in each there’s a “network” collection, a “server” collection and so on…

In all UIs I see my collections and there I will always find multiple “Networks” and so on. To make things easier I think a basic option to always show “Organization/Collection” in all lists would be great.

New user as of today. So far, very impressed!

Windows 10 desktop app.

When single-clicking on an entry in my vault, the information that loads into the panel on the right does not show the folder location of the entry. If you click edit it does show the field with the folder location.

Request:
It would be handy to see what folder an item is in without having to hit edit.

1 Like

Would love this little enhancement too.
Maybe something like that:

1 Like

Will there ever be a response from the bitwarden team? This is 3 years old and a very valid feature request, still, there’s no statement. We have a lync server in the company and hence Remote Desktop credentials, server hardware logins, Web-GUI Logins and SSH Logins. Each are separated in Collections. When I search for Lync, I’ll just see 4 Lync entries if I didn’t put a folder abbrv. behind it like RD, SSH, etc. Considering, that I have structured them in collections by this meta information already, this is stupid.

This wouldn’t be that big of a change, would it? Or create a checkbox to enable the view, to “reduce clutter”. Please make a statement.

2 Likes

Hi @yorick - I think this would be a good enhancement, too, but remember that this is a community forum, not the developer forum. Occasionally we do see some members of the Bitwarden team pop in here from time to time, but they definitely do not participate in all the individual threads (right now there are nearly 2000 feature requests they would have to follow!). So, just because there aren’t posts here from the Bitwarden team, it doesn’t mean the issue is being overlooked.

I try to follow the Bitwarden Roadmap to see what’s in the works. The team has completed an impressive number of improvements in 2021, and I think the pace is only accelerating. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Why can’t you just open the item and look? Personally, I think this feature is unnecessary and would just add clutter to the search results.

Hi David, I may be missing your point. What do you mean with “open and look”? In the search results, I see this:

When I open the item, I see this:

How can I see who it is shared with? The nearest way to find it out is to click Edit > Collections. So to find out (not edit) something about an item, not only should I do 2-3 more clicks than necessary, but I need to actually switch to the edit mode. I wouldn’t call it a good user experience. With respect to cluttering the interface, there is already a symbol indicating the item is shared. It is a matter of showing a tooltip if I hover that symbol. Even better—make it a user setting to display the organization name instead of this symbol (save me 3 clicks!) or this symbol for those who don’t like too much info here.

2 Likes

I want see folder of my record, when i searching by All Items

Any news on this ?

It’s becoming embarrassing to have to wait 3 years, without having a certain answer on the possible desire to implement this

It would have been quicker to clone the repo and make the changes on our own

1 Like

@dwbit Here could be the simple but very useful solution: Just add the list of Collection names (comma-separated, “Shared in: Collection 1, Collection 2”) to the title (text on hover) of the “Shared” icon in the right of the item name (instead of “Shared”):
Also will be good to make this icon visible always, even when the text is long (like in the second item on the screenshot).

Hey everyone, stay tuned, the team is making improvements in this area as part of the upcoming vault refresh :+1:

1 Like

I would say it would be more convenient, not to have to click the icon to see the parent folder (but maybe leaving it in parentheses)

But if click on the icon - I just open the Item view page, where I don’t see the list of collections too! I can actually see the list of Collections, where the Item present, only in Edit form, in “Collections” sub-form.

So let’s show it on click, or at least on hover.

And show the list of assigned collections on Item View page.

This is absolutely essential. Not showing the organization/collection in the “All Entries” view is a source of endless trouble and errors.

Any update on this ?
We switched to BitWarden recently but it’s a big trouble to have all items in the list view without collection name (using Chrome Extension).

Hey @kevin39 thanks for the feedback, it has been passed along to the team. In the meantime, you can add text or emoji to the name to provide a visual in the browser extension, or use the vault section and scroll to collections.

The team is also working on a refresh for the web vault to help improve labeling and will continue to monitor feedback for other clients.

The team also needs to balance UI needs such as community members wantingto keep the view as vertically compact as possible so it would need to be optional. If anyone is interested in working on a PR for this one, feel free to propose a contribution in the Pull Requests - Bitwarden Community Forums category.