Set custom fields as default

I understand many posts relate to creating different custom types of items, however it would be handy in my case to be able to set custom fields that are automatically applied to any given type.

For instance, for privacy purpose I like to keep track of which sites I give out my physical address to, using a boleean custom field – but until now, I have to create the custom field every time instead of just ticking the box or leaving it empty.

I’m surprised this doesn’t exist yet – maybe it does and I’m just bad at looking (or I’m completely misusing BW…).

I guess you are talking about having custom templates or custom items. I would also like to see this feature. It would be really handy.

Yes, although I’ve seen some earlier posts and it seemed it was technically complicated to implement if it meant creating new types/items. I was more thinking of a “set as default” option for custom fields which I guess could be more simple?

Aside from the “classification” use I mentioned in my original post which is not necessarily how BW is meant to be used, I often find myself creating a custom field for “Email” because it is different thant the Username, or vice versa. A bit tedious!

Custom item types are on our backlog - but in regard to this, perhaps this is just an extension of that function such that you can have a custom ‘Login’ item type with your preferred fields instead of having to manage custom fields + default types as well as custom item types.

Also, for today, we recommend creating a blank item with all the fields you’d like to use and naming it as your template, and leveraging the clone feature to recreate it. I know it doesn’t address filtering, but hopefully it saves keystrokes, clicks, etc. :rocket:

2 Likes

One more thing, in India pretty much everyone has a unique number kind of like the social security number. It’s called Aadhar card. Basically it’s a physical card with the number. It would be great if you could make template for this under the card section or identity. We also have lot of other cards and numbers. The government does have a document vault but I was just wondering if you could include it as well…I think Enpass has a template for this. It’s okay if this is not on your radar. Just wanted to mention this :grinning: