The user data is correct, I have checked it. This data also works with other applications I host, so I’m a bit stumped right now. Is there maybe a folder with logs somewhere or does anyone have another idea?
EDIT: I am a new user, so I had to make brackets () around the dots in the details. The entries are of course without the brackets.
Thank you for the quick answers. I have rebuilt and restarted ./Bitwarden.sh after making changes to the file. I have also looked at the SMTP Auth options, all services are activated for the mailbox service (OWA, MAPI, Exchange Web Services, ActiveSync, IMAP, POP, Auth SMTP).
I have also entered my personal account in the settings (E5), SMTP Auth is also activated here. I created an app password (The service account is used without an app password) for the application, entered it and then rebuilt and restarted it. It takes a moment (about 2-3 seconds) until the error message “unhandeled server error” appears via the Bitwarden web interface.