Scan TOTP QR codes from Browser extension or Desktop client

Feature name

“Scan TOTP QR codes from Browser extension or Desktop client”

Feature function

• Currently, to add a TOTP secret, the user has to enter it manually or scan the QR code with the mobile app¹.
  • The majority of websites I know do not show the TOTP secret when enrolling, only the QR code.
  • When on desktop, I want to be able to add a TOTP entry directly from a QR code, without knowing the secret or using the mobile app.
  • This could be done by scanning the web page like Keepass does it².

Related topics + references

¹ Bitwarden Authenticator (TOTP) | Bitwarden Help & Support
² I don’t remember if this was from a plugin or not, but it worked just like this.

Agreed, this would be a great feature to have.

I currently use Keeper, which has supported this for some time now; the web vault doesn’t scan web pages, but it does let you upload images for MFA. So I can take a screenshot of the QR code, upload this and the TOTP details are instantly added and generating codes straight away.

The desktop client supports this too, but also has the ability to scan your screen for QR codes and import it automatically.

As someone who moved from 1Pass, this is the feature I miss the most.

More “user friendly” than 1Password is the scanner in the Authenticator Chrome extension.
You select “Scan QR” and then you can drag a flexible scanning zone over the QR code.