Saving new sites issue

What website does it not work on?

As I said, the detection did not even work for THIS website.

Hello. I wanted to edit URI field of one website that I saved but I could not save it. This is the message I am getting: “Failed to fetch URI”. I tried changing it without S in HTTP but it still did not save. Next I tried editing one of websites already saved in my vault and same thing happens. It is not a matter of correct URI but saving simply does not work.

You are right. I hope they change this, as I too have come from using LastPass for many years, both free and paid until it got too expensive to maintain.

Actually it is not URI only. I can’t add any new items and I cannot save changes to existing items. Should I switch Developer Mode in Chrome and force plugin updates?

Update: Sync is not working too.

P.S. It’s Chrome extension I am talking about. Bitwarden web and Android app function normally.

I just tried to reproduce an issue on this page, but for me it works flawlessly.
Please try to follow my steps:

• Go to https://community.bitwarden.com/.
  • Make sure that you are logged into Bitwarden
  • You should see this image
  • Click image
  • Either: Press Ctrl+Shift+L
    or: Click onto image and select the hopefully available login:

or: Right click image , move the mouse to Bitwarden, then to Auto-fill, click your login

Done:

1 Like

Someone in this forum mentioned that he/she solved the issue by first ACTIVATING and then again DEACTIVATING these options

Restart your device. If possible change the network (WiFi vs. mobile). Try again.

I’ve tested enabling/disabling then changing my password on Sephora website, it wasn’t catched.

Saving a new password seems to be working for me on Sephora.

Go to password change area.

Right-click and generate a new password.

Paste new password.

Bitwarden asks if you want to save changes.

Keep in mind that Bitwarden won’t show the save bar unless the page refreshes or goes to a different page.

This is why I like changing or adding passwords through the extension first to be sure it saves, even LastPass was not perfect at it either. Changing at the extension first is what’s best until Bitwarden makes the detection better.

1 Like

This is the way.

1 Like

And if I don’t want to use “generate a password” ?
Lastpass almost never missed a change (I have only one exemple in mind with a very old interface of CA Unicenter)

What are you doing instead?

But that is the whole point why you should use a password manager:
Get away from self-made pseudo-random passwords or using always the same or just slightly changed passwords or things like my secret rule. Instead use long, complicated, unique and randomly generated passwords no-one is going to remember; and no-one needs to.

3 Likes

@ Freyja. Though I agree 100 % with Peter_H, you can choose your password, set it, and save it with any Bitworden user interface. You are not forced to use the password generation of Bitwarden.

I have both bitwarden and lastpass extensions installed but neither asked to save the username or passwords when creating this account on this forum. I guess adding the account to the extension first is the way to go?

1 Like

I see much “you’re doing it wrong” there and I’m not surprised. When something is not working people always tend to explain that’s the user which is doing it wrong forgetting that there are other use cases than their own.

Firstly, you’re right telling that generated passwords are generally better.
However, I can already tell that the generator is not that good. I’m using 4 words of 5 characters separated by space and the entropy is much better.

Then, not all authentication are web based, we have ldap and AD based authentication and the rules are completely different, so I need a password I can remember to login on non web environment but also store them in bitwarden when the website I’m connecting is using this kind of authentication in the background. So yes I need Bitwarden to be able to catch when a password change and if it’s not working, it’s a bug not a feature.

The password generator can generate passphrases for you, much like the one you described.

3 Likes

Hum did miss where we can put space but nethertheless, for AD or LDAP, I’m changing my password by not using a web interface, so I need Bitwarden to be able to catch the change when I’m using these new password when I’m connecting to a website that rely on AD or LDAP authentication mechanism.

EDIT: ok found where I can generate pass-phrase. But still, I need to be able to remember it and easily write it because BitWarden won’t autofill my Windows login box (because the main objective of a good passphrase is to be able to remember it)

How are you remembering your passphrase(s) currently? They need to be genuinely random, so the ones generated by Bitwarden - or any other decent password generator - should be suitable.

2 Likes