Save password while vault is blocked

Hi everyone, this is my first topic here.

I have noticed that Bitwarden is asking to save my password while my vault es blocked, this is normal?
This happen with Firefox and Chrome.

Cheers!

Hi @lks, welcome!

Itā€™s normal, itā€™s actually a new feature from the most recent release.

The browser will now both prompt you to save while locked, as well as prompt you to unlock when autofilling :metal:

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/releasenotes/#2021-12-07

5 Likes

Hi folks! I just noticed this today and I find it really annoying. I donā€™t want distractions from BitWarden unless Iā€™m actively using it - i.e. with the vault unlocked. I couldnā€™t find a way to disable this :frowning:

2 Likes

@Albert: Just to clarify. You logged in into a site which you had no entry in your vault for and did not want to save it? If that is the case you could also select Never. Which will remember, that you do not want to get prompted anytime you log in to that site.

Right. Iā€™ve been thinking it through, seeing how long awaited this feature was, and realized that my workflow was kind of wonky to start with, and indeed I can just click never for the sites I donā€™t want BitWarden to prompt me about. Thanks!

On a related note, is there a way to make the BitWarden prompt a floating popup (same as the one Firefox shows you) instead of a layout changing inline header? I feel like that would feel less intrusive and is probably my main issue with this new behavior in the first place.

2 Likes

@Albert Glad that to hear the Never options works for you.

Currently there are no plans to change the way the notification is displayed. This mostly has to do with the limitations browser extensions have to work with/around. Iā€™m looking into some other improvements in regards to saving vault entries from the save prompt and this might enable a different flow/display.

1 Like

I see. Thanks! Hope you find some workaround.

If you need inspiration, I know Honey does this really well in their Firefox extension when they have some offers for you related to the current site. Sorry if this is unsolicited promotion of another product, that is not my intent.

Hi,

Iā€™ve also noticed this new feature and it is bugging me in my current workflow because Iā€™ve disabled the Add Login Prompt in Bitwarden extension settings (in Chrome) but this setting is not respected anymore if my vault is locked.

Basically, Iā€™m using 2 password managers in my work computer and Bitwarden is my personal password manager. I only want to unlock the vault if I ever need some personal passwords but normally Iā€™m not using it, donā€™t want it unlocked, and donā€™t want any prompt appearing.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi all! I have the same problem and the most annoying is that Bitwarden prompts to save password even if thereā€™s already an entry in my vault.

5 Likes

Same here, itā€™s so annoying I signed up to this forum to complain about it

Please make this an option that we can disable.

3 Likes

I find this ā€œfeatureā€ extremely annoying.
I would really like an option to toggle this, for me if locked please donā€™t ask. If unlocked yes please ask me to save.

I donā€™t unlock my Bitwarden unless I need to log on to something more secure. Some random local UI login for example I donā€™t need Bitwarden. so I keep it unlocked and just use my memory instead.

2 Likes

I, too, signed up to complain about this ā€œfeatureā€ - it offers on sites Iā€™ve already saved passwords for when the vault is locked. I donā€™t unlock the vault unless Iā€™m using it (I use Bitwarden for personal, and another password manager for work) and the notification often blocks important links at the top of websites which forces me to click through to get to them, slowing down my workflow - Iā€™m sure some of you will say ā€œitā€™s only a single clickā€ - a single click on EVERY website I access is quite a lot.

1 Like

I totally agree with you! This issue is REALLY annoying. I am a paying customer, but Iā€™m thinking about stop using BW when nothing is done about it.

1 Like

So, nothing? Youā€™re just leaving it as ā€œweā€™re not planning on changing thisā€? No settings for turning that function off? Itā€™s a KILLER for me because during work, if my BW extension is locked, I get the notification on EVERY site, if I open it, then I get it for every site that I use corporately. Iā€™m a premium user and Iā€™m seriously considering taking my business elsewhere because, as Iā€™ve said in a previous reply, it may not seem like a big deal to some for a few clicks here and there, but I visit a lot of sites during my work processes, not to mention that it COVERS the first however-many pixels of the website youā€™re on, limiting my access to important menu items unless I first close the notification.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve actually just looked at the roadmap for 2022, and with account switching, I may be able to convince my management team to set up a Teams organization, thus removing the need for me to have a secondary password manager, and stick straight to Bitwarden AND avoid this annoying an inefficient notification.

Using Firefox BW extension as well. Iā€™ve selected ā€˜neverā€™ a dozen times for the same site(s). Does not stick though, really annoying. Would not have any problem with this prompt when it would really remember my choice. Now it is just a big pain in the ass. Iā€™m forced to log in at the extension to prevent this prompt to show up.

As you state it should be remembered (as would be expected), could this then be something in Firefox itself?

Hereā€™s one scenario I dealt with recently.

My client is an elderly person on a Mac. She would open Launchpad and click on Bitwarden. After unlocking the vault, she would select a site and click Launch. After entering her credentials and logging in, the Bitwarden extension would prompt to save the credentials. She would enter her Bitwarden credentials a 2nd time and the extension would always create a new entry. She had over 20 entries for a single site.

Since the process can be improved by searching/checking for the site after unlocking the vault (in the extension), I opened a feature request. I was told to change the options and post my request here.

Itā€™s hard enough to get users to use a password manager, much less elderly people. The default options should encourage sane usage. Itā€™s not good to onboard a new client and then explain certain scenarios where the application may not work as expected and walk them through changing the default options.

Sadly, the community forums as a place where ideas die (in other products as well).

@NiceGuyIT This is very different from the work flow you described in your GitHub report. In Issue #5630, you described that the vault was locked when the user was prompted to save the login credentials. If youā€™re now discussing a different user with a different use-case, please clarify (in which case I will move your comment into its own, separate topic, since it is not relevant to this thread).

This is very different from the work flow you described in your GitHub report.

I left out opening the desktop Bitwarden app because thatā€™s irrelevant to how the Bitwarden extension works.

you described that the vault was locked when the user was prompted to save the login credentials.

Correct. The Bitwarden extension is locked. The Bitwarden desktop app is unlocked.

If youā€™re now discussing a different user with a different use-case, please clarify

The STR in issue #5630 show how the default options allow duplicate entries to be added by the Bitwarden browser extension. I did not explain how the credentials are entered because I thought that was irrelevant.

From issue 5630:

In particular, weā€™d be interested in hearing about how youā€™re logging into websites if youā€™re leaving the extension locked while doing so. Itā€™s possible that thereā€™s a use case that hasnā€™t been considered, and your feedback would be very much appreciated.

My original comment above explains a specific workflow the user was doing to create duplicate entries. This was the use case that was asked for. If the scenario I described above is not the same as this thread, please move it.

It seems that your client may have misunderstood how Bitwarden works. Each instance of Bitwarden (whether a Desktop app, browser extension, mobile app, etc.) runs independently, using its own vault cache. Thus, having one instance of Bitwarden unlocked (e.g., the Desktop app) does not unlock any other Bitwarden apps (e.g., the browser extension remains locked). The best solution for your client is to stop using the Desktop app. If she starts her work flow by unlocking the browser extension instead of unlocking the Desktop app, the problem would go away (and it would have the additional benefit of allowing here to take advantage of the auto-fill functionality in the browser extension, instead of copying and pasting login credentials from the Desktop app). Alternatively, disable the browser extension options for Saving new logins (as was suggested to you on GitHub).

Very well, I understand now what you were trying to describe (which is relevant to this thread). I would suggest that you edit your original comment to clarify some key details (see suggested revisions below):