Rotated Encryption Key and Changed Password but Cannot Log In

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Recently, thinking my bitwarden could have been compromised, I changed my master password and rotated my encryption key. That all went well.

However, now when I try to log-in with that new master password I get an error that it is incorrect. I read in the help section I need to log-out of all my all bitwarden client applications when rotating the encryption key. I do not think I have done so for all of my bitwarden appliations.

Is it possible this is causing the error when I try to log-in? I could have also fat fingered a mistake when resetting the password… but I wanted to double check.

Thank you again for any advice. :slight_smile:

Hello @brd - welcome to the BItwarden community.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues logging in to your vault. It is hard to pinpoint the exact cause of your problem, but if I had to guess this sounds like a password issue rather than an issue with your encryption key that you rotated. I say this because you are having authentication issues rather than data corruption issues.

For help solving problems with your master password, this thread might be of some help to you - let us know! Cheers.

https://community.bitwarden.com/t/how-to-master-password-problems-and-best-practices/43282/5

1 Like

Hey @dh024 - thank you!

That makes sense, I changed my password in a bit of a panic so I think I must have typed something wrong.

Thank you for the clarification and for pointing me in the direction of some useful info.