Require specific 2FA methods for organization members

I’ve created an organization and have 30 paid ‘seats’ for my colleagues. For the organization I’ve set up “TWO-STEP LOGIN” (2FA) as required, but it only gives you a simple checkbox.

However, as a user I can also opt to use “Email” (instead of something like an Authenticator App or Yubikey) as a “second” factor:

I do not consider “Email” a second factor, as it will likely be available on the same device as where you use your Bitwarden tooling. In any case, I want to enforce (either through disallowing some, or only allowing some) the types of 2FA people can use.

How can I enforce specific 2FA methods for my organization members?

Note: most of us will be using Authenticator Apps (like Authy) or YubiKey.

1 Like

Hmm, I see I tagged my post as a “FEATURE REQUEST”, but to a degree it’s also a “QUESTION” since it might already be possible to do what I want?

Or perhaps the lack of response from the community or team indicates I’ve got a weird edge case situation?

Hi @jeroenheijmans - this is a good question. Currently, you can’t specify the method of 2FA for a user, only that they have at least email two-step enabled.

We do have a backlog item to work on this and allow some specification, but since org users aren’t really org users (and have access to premium 2fA) until they’re confirmed, it creates a chicken-egg scenario where the user needs to enable a two-step solution they technically don’t have access to yet :slight_smile:

Thx @tgreer for the response!

Would the chicken-egg scenario be solvable by not giving people access to secrets and management features, until they’ve set a certain 2FA method from a whitelist of options?

But I might not understand how 2FA and organizations interplay? In my specific scenario I just want users to enable something like Authy or Google Authenticator or a Yubikey as their second factor, before they’re allowed to do/see anything in my organization.

The underlying problem to me is that e-mail is not a good second factor. If I could blacklist email as a second factor before someone gets access to my org’s stuff that would also be okay.

Either way: appreciate the feedback and your thoughts, as well as a nice product!

@jeroenheijmans thanks!

Currently, the access to shared secrets (the ability to decrypt them) happens upon the confirmation step, which is a key exchange and is pretty much the step.

We’re tinkering with ideas on granting ‘temporary’ flags to allow premium or other 2FA selection before that point, but it will involve some fancy URL work, yet to be determined :male_detective:

1 Like

Clear. Thanks for your update, I look forward to seeing new info when/if you decide to give this priority.

I would also like to see this feature implemented. I have an interest in allowing only WebAuthn (FIDO2) for the MFA option for my organization. At a minimum, it would be nice to state which MFA option was used in the event logs.

2 Likes

I’m after a similar setting. I don’t care which factor the user chooses, except email. We require our staff to store their email password in Bitwarden. So if they choose email as their 2FA, they inevitably lock themselves out of both and create an admin burden.

Please allow us to disable email at the very least.

2 Likes

I would also like to have the ability to at least disallow email based 2FA.

Also agree with that the 2FA method should appear in either event logs or against a user name for your organisation, or change the hover over message to actually state what method is being used.

This would make the overall management and auditing of users a bit better than it currently is.

The ideal solution would be the ability for an organisation to mandate a specfic MFA method(s).

It would be very helpful to select the 2fa methods that an organization user is permited to use. For example I would like to permit only hardware keys as a 2fa method.

+1, turning off email / requiring a token is a basic requirement for enterprise security.

@fbarbeira Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps a possible work-around would be to use the option to require organization members to use Duo for 2FA, and then configure your Duo setup so that it only accepts WebAuthn/FIDO2 keys.

Thanks for the suggest but I would preffer not to use a whole third party service (with paid subscription) only for that single point that could be integrated with bitwarden.

Agree with everyone here. This is a MUCH needed feature. Not only is it not secure, but as mentioned now users have to know their email password before they can get into their BW vault. Also, when using the browser plugin you must open a separate browser session to your email cause as soon as you click off the plugin window it disappears.