Receive files into my vault from non-Bitwarden users [Send]

I’m so stoked that the Send feature is here, massive thanks to the dev team!

A suggestion to level this feature up beyond all the QoL requests like the ability to hide email in the send and the ability to send password entries without having to copy&paste, I’d love it if we were able to Receive files into our vault.

In circumstances where we need to request a sensitive file from a client, our current solution is to send them a 1-page document with instructions on how to .7zip the file with encryption and a password, relying on third-party apps and the client’s ability to install the app on their work computer.

Being able to generate a file receive request link with a password that we can send to clients would for them to simply upload the file would be a game changer.

Thanks again for your tireless work, dev team!

8 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! We agree this is a good idea :sunglasses: - hopefully more to come soon!

6 Likes

Request files from other people

Feature function

• It would be nice to have a feature similar to Dropzone in SendSafely. This feature works similar to the Bitwarden Send feature.
  • The dropzone will allow users to request files from external users securely. It shall have an OTP validation before sending the file to the requestor.
  • The dropzone shall have flexible access controls and multiple users must have access to it. It works like a shared folder/repository
  • Shall have a policy for file retention.

Advantages to Bitwarden

• Bitwarden shall become an one stop shop for password management and secure file transmission. This would speed up enterprise adoption and attract more users.
  • For example, in my company we uses a combination of Keeper Security and SendSafely. If Bitwarden has the above feature then we can replace both these systems with Bitwarden.

Related topics + references

https://www.sendsafely.com/dropzone/

5 Likes

Excellent write-up!

2 Likes

It would be great if the recipient would be able to use the text or file option to upload to the secure send URL that was provided to them by the sender using the Send functionality.

1 Like

It would also be awesome if non users could also send secured notes. Often times I need to obtain passwords from clients and I don’t want them sending the messages through email.

1 Like

Thank you for your post!

Feature name

• Secure Request

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently? You have a great option to send secure notes and files to people , but it would be useful to9 have option to send a link to someone and they can then add files or text to come back to me. This could be used if you needed a user password for a task etc.
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
  • Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?
  • Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful?
1 Like

Not sure if this fits within the scope. But since the “Send” feature has two options for sending files and text, I imagine having the same feature parity would be ideal.

Our use case is requesting secrets from users, e.g. an API key or OAuth client ID and client secret.

2 Likes

I’m also keen on a Bitwarden Send request feature.

Our usecase is for agency clients who are less technically savvy and who might normally want to message passwords unencrypted. We would pre-emptively send them request links so they know where to put these things.

From this perspective, the name “Secure Request” might parse quite well.

3 Likes

Hey Trey, would love an update on this request. Has it made the cut in the current roadmap?

1 Like

Hi @janbaykara! Great question - @bw-admin would be the best source of info for that.

1 Like

Thanks for asking! The team is working on expanding Bitwarden Send and vault sharing capabilities, including the ability to save a send to a Bitwarden vault. We’ll share more details as they become available.

2 Likes

Thanks mate Appreciate your response.

2 Likes

I think it would be a nice feature if I could send a link to somebody where they could upload a file(s) to me in a secure fashion, where their file is encrypted using client side JavaScript before getting uploaded to Bitwarden servers. Similar to bitwarden send, but in the other direction. So if I’m dealing with a customer who doesn’t use Bitwarden (yet) they can still upload documents to me in a secure fashion.

1 Like

I agree that a Request feature would be pretty awesome!
If someone is looking for a similar feature now… You can accomplish the something similar with Nextcloud. Create a folder > Share Link > File drop. It also allows you to leave a note for the recipient.

1 Like

I agree, this would be an excellent feature! For our usage, parity with BItwarden Send’s current functionality would be ideal.

For example, to request a password:

1. I create a Bitwarden Request
  2. In the Request, I specify whether it’s for a file or for text.
  3. Send the Request.
  4. Recipient fulfills the Request.
  5. I receive a notification when the Recipient fulfills the request.

I don’t need Requests to create Bitwarden Assets, but I can see how others might find that useful.

1 Like

This would be a super useful feature in the CSP/MSP space. We regularly send sensitive information back and forth with clients and it would be very useful to have the capability for them to simply upload or send passwords/files/text to us via request or email.

1 Like

I think the spirit of this request though is that you can request information and files securely from others without the other party needing an account.

1 Like

This will be a great addition to BitWarden. hope will receive it soon. Especially as MSPs we will work with clients and there are important and secure information to be shared from the client to us. Like credentials, infrastructure details, etc. In this case, this will be an important feature and great value addition.

Hey @bw-admin, I’m really pleased with the attention this feature request has gotten from the community over the last year. With the roadmap about to be updated for H2, how many votes on this request would you need to get the request added?