Plausible Deniability - A way to offer more protection over passwords

Add support for entering a duress PIN which would open a dummy database. This is important in countries that can require you to unlock databases by law, for example at the airport.

(See implementation in StrongBox Compare Features - Strongbox)

1 Like

You could create a separate dummy BW account and put your fake accounts into that account. Before going to the airport, which is likely not an entirely unplanned activity, you simply log out of your primary everyday BW account and login to your dummy account. You could even lower the security of the dummy account to not use 2FA while your primary account does.

Not sure this is something that requires a development solution that will impact everyone when a process solution works for those with that particular use case/scenario.

If the Bitwarden team is cool people registering these dummy accounts, sure. I guess they can’t stop it (easily).

It’s better to create this feature to show only some selected accounts when entering second password.

Detailed motivation why this feature request is important:

2 Likes

I assume everyone here has heard of cryptocurrency wallets. Some of them have a mechanism that launches when someone tries to log in with a particular password; it either shows the false wallet or deletes the user’s important information.

This is a fantastic tool that enables people to go away from dangerous situations like robberies and other unpleasantries.

Bitwarden is able to add this functionality with a unique master password that either displays a phony vault that the owner previously created or deletes all of the vault data.

The target of a kidnapping or a reporter in a nation with a corrupt government will find this extremely beneficial.

Additionally, this will be quite helpful for your marketing efforts because, as far as I know, no password manager has this.

1 Like

It would be great to have a fake master password, which by typing it would give access to a fake vault (configurable items from the real or prime vault)

This master password would be very useful to be able to use it in case of a threat or coercion/ duress.