Password expiration date

Please add a filed “Expiry Date” where I can define a date when a password has expired (or will expire). I use this in KeePass to mark passwords that have expired.

These password have a red “X” symbol over the Favicon and are not used when I log in via the hotkey.

GitHub issue: https://github.com/bitwarden/core/issues/163

Totally agree this feature is needed.

I also opened a GitHub issue back in December and it got some votes from people: https://github.com/bitwarden/core/issues/163

I think it is absolutely necessary!

4 Likes

This feature allows to store expired passwords, that are not actively used, but the account is still existing

yes, it’s really needed. I would like to get

• a flag to mark an account as expired
  • an expiration date or range (like keepass has) and let the account expire automatically
  • a function/tool to expire all accounts at once, as we use Bitwarden in a company and have to change all accounts when someone leave. But it’s not possible to change all the accounts on one day, so I want to mark all as expired and change them in the next few days…
2 Likes

Just some thoughts on the design that I would personally find really useful:

• Per entry in vault, optional field “password expiration date”. Ideally this date can be set either via a calendar OR by entering a number of days.
    • If an entry has a “password expiration date” in the past, the password field should be the color red
  • In Settings->Options the following should be available
    • Boolean option “Notify via email before passwords expire”
    • Boolean option “Notify via app before passwords expire”
    • Integer option “Number of days before passwords expire to send notification”
1 Like

This feature should not be for passwords specifically but for each object. If I create a passport object I want it to remind me about the expiry.

3 Likes

How to know if this is going to happen, or not, and if yes, when ??

Bumping this.

Just started looking at switching from KeePass 2 to Bitwarden, and this is kind of surprising that this feature hasn’t already been implemented. It’s a bit disappointing given how polished Bitwarden appears.

I’m currently auditing my online accounts and I have passwords I set years ago, or accounts with duplicate/similar passwords, and these need to be updated. I’m having to do this still in KeePass since I have the ability to mark these accounts as “expired” so I can remember what still needs to be changed.

On another note, many companies and company services require password changes at set intervals (30-60-90 days) and being able to set a reminder that a password will expire soon and should be changed is a pretty helpful feature.

This is a pretty basic and standard feature for a password manager. I also see that this has been requested a couple times on Passport expiration date and Expiration dates . Given that this has been an outstanding request since Mar 2018 (over a year and a half) with 73 votes (currently) across the 3 split requests, it would be nice to see a Bitwarden dev reply to this thread with some input or something. Will this be implemented and can we get a time frame?