✅ Inline autofill menu (formerly known as overlay popup interface)

this has been requested ever since 2018, so I guess it`s not o priority for them, but since Bitwarden begun receiving the new influx of users from LastPass on later weeks, this topic votes grew in numbers, maybe they reconsider scoping it in a near future.

1 Like

I’ve been using Bitwarden for the past 2 years now and this feature definitely is something I would like to have. I have been watching the development of this feature request ever since. However it’s nonexistent. I now specially signed up to this community to provide my vote. I hope this contributes to this feature request actually being picked up.

I actually tried to see if I could implement this feature myself. However the Bitwarden Web Extension seems to be created in a complex way, at least for me to get a grasp of it. Maybe that is the reason why this feature request is still open? As all other password managers, including Keepass, have this feature implemented. What I also observed was code from 1Password in the repository of Bitwarden. Maybe Bitwarden is actually 1Password and therefor the developers of Bitwarden don’t want to implement this feature.

3 Likes

@aex351 It’s off topic , but how do you use keepass to auto fill with overlay Pop up? It doesn’t have a browser extension right?

1 Like

For Keepass there are (browser) web extensions available that include an overlay popup. One of the extensions available is “Kee - Password Manager”. Which is also free/open source. So pretty much all popular password managers have this feature available except for Bitwarden. Which makes you wonder why. If Bitwarden actually is the open source version of 1Password which is closed source it makes sense to keep popular features away from Bitwarden for as long as possible. In any case I do hope this feature gets picked up and some clarity on the roadmap can be given.

2 Likes

As others have stated, according to Fitt’s law this should be in a top priority.

I am shocked that after 4+ years it’s still on the backlog. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, unfortunately it does cast some doubt over the team’s ability to prioritise effectively, or perhaps they are just prioritising features requested by their enterprise customers over everything else - but even if so, perhaps there is room for improvement in making these prioritisation decisions more transparently. See Bitwarden Roadmap for a lengthy discussion on this, and Release Notes | Bitwarden Help & Support for more info on what they have been working on.

Having said that, it’s an Open Source project, so there’s nothing stopping a developer from contributing the necessary code, or a group of people who want the feature coordinating to raise funds and contracting a developer to code it for them. If you really want it that badly, make it happen! That’s the whole point of Open Source, so take advantage of it.

2 Likes

Kind of amazed so many people want this feature? I found it annoying, what am I missing? Is it that much harder to press the bitwarden icon in chrome and do what you need from there?

1 Like

Acquired taste. Some of us have been users of LastPass and 1Password for so long that it is a lot easier to navigate. Sure, it’s easy to get acclimated to Bitwarden the same way if you spend enough time on it. But this was literally the first thing I looked for once I installed Bitwarden. :grin:

1 Like

@Jam38 most people hide extensions in chrome toolbar , so the number of clicks to dig to it increases everytime it locks

1 Like

You could also right click and fill, though, which I assume is the logical argument here. But the overlay minimizes searching for the option as it’s front and center.

Voted. While I could possibly live with this - despite having some sites with 10+ logins - there is no way I could convince family members to switch without this.
Right now, I’m leaning towards just buying LastPass Family.

2 Likes

For me I really like having the visual indicator that I have credentials saved on a website. I also like seeing how many credentials I have. And then clicking there to select the one I want. Every other autofilling password manager I’ve looked at or used has this feature (Lastpass, RoboForm, 1Password, Nord) and while I’ve gotten used to ctrl+shift+L, I definitely miss the little icon showing in the field.

As many others have said, if this isn’t something you want, it’s as simple as not using the option.

1 Like

The bitwarden extension already gives you a visual indicator of how many credentials you have saved for a website, it’s the number that appears over the extension. The difference is that you click on the bitwarden extension in top of the browser instead of clicking the username or password field.

Is it really that much harder to press the extension icon at the top of the browser?

It’s like getting a new car and complaining the volume buttons are in a different location than your last car. Yes, but the volume buttons are still there you just need to reach for a new location.

It just seems you guys are asking for a feature that already exist but the “volume buttons” are just in a different location. And you guys want to add a feature that was never that great to begin with and often made things worse.

This video does an fine job of explaining how annoying lastpass was. The last thing I want is bitwarden to become lastpass.

4 Likes

Yes it is. Please read about Fitt’s Law to help you understand what makes good interface design.

If the volume buttons were in the back of your seat, forcing you to reach behind your back to press them, you would certainly complain.

Yes, a shitty location.

Having said that, as a long-time previous LastPass user, I just got used to pressing Control-Shift-L, which I think is better than LastPass’s overlay interface. But that doesn’t change the fact that Bitwarden is missing a big trick by not implementing this, which is clear from the huge number of users crying out for it and apparently being ignored so far.

4 Likes

I’ve been a paying Bitwarden user for years now and it’s very disappointing to see how little development there has been on this and other issues I care about, like support for european debit cards and Firefox private mode.

I’m the guy people ask which software they should use and the vastly inferior autofill experience has been the reason why I’ve recommended Lastpass so far.

Bitwarden does support alphanumeric credit/debit card numbers.

1 Like

I still don’t get it. If that’s the most important thing that you all miss from LastPass, why don’t you just stick to LP?
Couple of years ago I’ve migrated from LP to BW and my choice was based mostly on security basis. Not UX/UI.
I agree that BW has few problems with UI. there are things inconsistent between f.e. web vault & addon & mobile app
But I kind of agree with that and I’m still using BW and paying for it. If if there would be something that would really bothers me, I would just seek another solution…

3 Likes

LP just nerfed free plan thats why bitwarden is receiving an exodus of X-Laspassers , and I also made the switch for before for security reasons, I can`t trust in a password manager that have been hacked twice.

2 Likes

I’m referring to the BIC/SWIFT style bank details that are used for debit payments in Germany.

I need this!!