✅ Inline autofill menu (formerly known as overlay popup interface)

Implement an overlay popup content script that will assist with autofilling in-line within the website. The popup will overlay the website using shadow-DOM techniques. The overlay will be opened by clicking an icon that is presented with login form fields on the page.

Example:

Original issue: Overlay Popup · Issue #3 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

25 Likes

If this is going to make it to the browser extension, I’d prefer it to be an option (at least an opt-out), since my experience with Dashlane is that it made some pages really slow or buggy (example page here : https://manager.cozycloud.cc/cozy/login, you need to have an account to access the page where it offers the password field).
The contextual menu and the popup have the advantage of working all the time.

40 Likes

If you do this, please be careful. I’d prefer if the autofill JS were not injected into a page at all if the domain doesn’t match a site in the database. I don’t trust every site on the internet to not use an exploit to steal all of my passwords, but I’ll at least trust the sites I have logins for.

30 Likes

This is one of the reasons I switched away from LastPass. By all means make it an optional feature, but I prefer if interaction with the DOM is only at will, not automatic.

36 Likes

I understand the security concerns raised here, but at least the password generator (w/o auto-fill integration) can be integrated without compromising security.

8 Likes

To my knowledge, this is largely why LastPass slows down the browser so much. If you implement this, please be sure speed and compatibility are of the highest importance.

19 Likes

As others have said, I left LastPass partly because of this functionality and how slow it made my browser. If it’s added I would like an opt-out please.

13 Likes

As requested in this topic which was closed as a duplicate of the current one, this feature should also be implemented in the Android app.
I’m unable to add the relevant tag though.

4 Likes

This is a really important feature for me on Android, and is a major issue tempting me back to LastPass - any news on progress?

The present method of a complete screen swap is not only slow, but there are apps it won’t work with. These apps close or reset their login screen as soon as it’s hidden, so BW can never fill them. I have to use circuitous routes with the clipboard and manual typing to login to these apps.

The LP pop-up solves this, as well as allowing you to copy/paste the login and password while the pop-up is open for troublesome apps that refuse to be auto-filled.

I’d really love to see this in BW.

10 Likes

This would be very useful to have for many users on browser and on mobile.
Making it a option to enable if the users want it would be great as some do not want it, but some do. To appease both make it optional :stuck_out_tongue:
Hope this comes soon

3 Likes

Hi there,

I registered in the forum, precisely to request or support a proposal like this one.

I have been using LastPass for many years (6, 8, I do not remember) and this year I decided to try other password managers. After LastPass, I find Dashlane, Bitwarden and Enpass convenient for any user.

What I love about Bitwarden is its integration with Firefox (Bitwarden in the sidebar of Firefox is the best!), But I miss a popup when filling in the password forms.

Okay, they are right that can slow down the performance of the browser on the desktop or that is sometimes annoying as the LastPass (I like to fill in the passwords with the icon in the Firefox bar). But it is a feature that is really needed in Bitwarden for mobile (Android, in my case).

As some say here, there are websites or applications (especially from some banks) that for security reasons are blocked at the time of changing the application (at that time when I have to change to Bitwarden to fill in the fields of the password).

If you improve that in Bitwarden for mobile, there would be no words to describe how great that would be!

9 Likes

Any news on that? Would be really great to see this soon!

5 Likes

This request has been proposed for almost 1 yr now and still waiting… I gave up and switched to a different Password Manager called Myki.
Hope Bitwarden gets around to it at some point.

I abandon Dashlane because their implementation of this (clickable icon in form field) broke too many sites.

7 Likes

When I go to a website and Bitwarden does not automatically fill the login fields then I have to click on the Bitwarden Icon in the browser toolbar and select the account.
For some services I have multiple accounts (like Amazon, where I have an account and my wife also has an account).
Or a security tool where I have an account for my PC and one account for my Virtual Machine.

Kee (the Browser extension for KeePass) shows on the right side of the login fields an Icon that I need to click.
This is a much better user experience, because when I click on the field “Username” then the mouse pointer is already in the field and the Kee icon is right next to it.
In Bitwarden I have longer mouse ways to point to the Bitwarden icon in the toolbar.

Here is a screen shot that is shown at the website of the Google Chrome extension of Kee (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/kee/mmhlniccooihdimnnjhamobppdhaolme):

Kee_Login_Fields

You see the little Kee icon in the field “Username”.
Selecting my entries directly inside the login fields is much faster than going to the toolbar.

3 Likes

Similar thoughts here - Multiple Login Options - If I start typing on the site login, display relevant options for fast fill-in (other topic may be closed in favor of this one).

4 Likes

I Hope “overlay popup” feature added this year :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is a must have feature…will help in autofilling easily and accurately.

3 Likes

I would say this is a “nice to have” in desktop. I don’t have an opinion on mobile. But I wouldn’t compromise security to any extent in exchange for this. Right now it takes only two clicks: extension button and then account. So it’s not that this is a game changer, only change is the position of the buttons. Those are my two cents.

2 Likes

This would be a nice addition!

2 Likes