Can't enable browser extension biometrics

I was able to enable biometrics in Big Sur for Edge Dev.

I created a new file with this path:

~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Edge Dev/NativeMessagingHosts/com.8bit.bitwarden.json

and with this content:

{
  "name": "com.8bit.bitwarden",
  "description": "Bitwarden desktop <-> browser bridge",
  "path": "/Applications/Bitwarden.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitwarden",
  "type": "stdio",
  "allowed_origins": [
    "chrome-extension://nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb/",
    "chrome-extension://jbkfoedolllekgbhcbcoahefnbanhhlh/",
    "chrome-extension://ccnckbpmaceehanjmeomladnmlffdjgn/"
  ]
}

Next time I tried to enable the “Unlock with biometrics” from Edge, a biometric popup appeared: I used my finger and the feature was finally enabled :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Got some issues again on macOS + Brave and IMHO I can confirm that is the “tmp” directory the problem. Let’s sum up:

• installed Bitwarden Desktop via App Store
  • installed Brave
  • installed Bitwarden Extension in Brave
  • enabled “Access to the file urls” in Brave Bitwarden Extension
  • launched Bitwarden Desktop, logged in my Bitwarden Account and enabled Biometrics and browser integration
  • while Bitwarden Desktop running, opened Brave, logged in my Bitwarden account in Bitwarden Extension and tried to enable biometrics unlock with no luck
  • opened Terminal, checked ~/Library/Containers/com.bitwarden.desktop/Data - it had no tmp directory in it
  • created ~/Library/Containers/com.bitwarden.desktop/Data/tmp
  • tried to enable biometrics in Bitwarden extension → now IT WORKS

:+1: - @Hinton I recall your PR to address the native messaging directory, but wasn’t sure if you’d run across this?

The tmp directory not existing should be fixed in the next release, and we’ve added support for creating the manifest for chrome beta/canary/dev and edge.

2 Likes

Now it’s working for me on Windows + Chrome Plugin

After you enable both checkboxes from the Desktop app

Unlock with Windows Hello
Enable browser integration

And then the Chrome Plugin

Hello,

I’m trying to enable the Windows Hello connexion to my Bitwarden Vault in the browser extensions :+1:

• MS Edge Version 90.0.818.51 (Version officielle) (64 bits)
    • with Bitwarden Extension : v.1.49.0
  • Firefox 88.0.1 (64 bits)
    • with Bitwarden Extension : 1.49.1
  • Windows 20H2 last update on 2021/04/21
  • Bitwarden desktop app v.1.25.1 (not the store version)

I successfully activated the Windows Hello in the Desktop App :

But with the browse extensions, I’m stuck with this error :

On MS Edge, I checked the following checkbox :

(there is no same checkbox in Firefox…).

Is there a way to activate the Windows Hello in the browser extension while the same thing is working on the Desktop App… ?

Thanks for your help.

Tried all the procedures described here on MacOS 10.15.7. “app.bitwarden” file is there in the tmp directory but no go on Chrome or Brave, both newly installed. So, when is this “next release?”

Client updates roll out next week :+1:

1 Like

Same:

Opera
Windows

Ho lo stesso problema! Almeno so che non sono l’unico italiano.

Is biometrics working on Big Sur 11.3.1 / 11.4 RC (Chrome 90.0.4430.212) ? Just trying to digest this long thread. I’m having trouble enabling it (Mac App store version of the app 1.25.1-518)

Getting this message:

Desktop app options:

I am having the same issue as well. M1 Mac. It’s working in the desktop app (1.25.1), enable browser integration is checked, getting the “Biometrics not enabled…requires desktop first” message in both Firefox and Edge.

EDIT: Just downloaded 1.26.3. Biometric unlock works on Safari extension (though I wish it would be the default behavior, without a second hop). But unfortunately a) still not working in either Edge or Firefox and b) HUGE bug for M1 Macs not even able to open the app. And strange it never showed up in the update, I had to search it in the store to update.

EDIT 2: Just did the work around to open the 1.26.3 in Rosetta and now biometrics works-ish in all 3 browsers. Firefox wants the desktop to be open. Hopefully the Safari extension can get faster and not open in a small window.

Version 1.26.5 is now approved and ready in the AppStore with the fix for this issue.

2 Likes

I just updated to v1.26.5 on Mac M1…but unfortunately it would still want Rosetta 2 in order for the Biometic to work…I thought there was some github merges back in Mar/Apr to be native on M1 but I guess that would likely be in v 1.27?

We’re working on the M1 native function, but that is what caused the crash in 1.26.3, so we reverted and are looking into the problem :slight_smile:

Okey, I guess v1.26 was supposed to be native M1 capable if QA team did their job properly, right? Lol…looking forward to the next release

Lol - I wish it was as easy as blaming @clayadams52 - but it was an issue with how the app was compiled as part of our automation/builds. Hopefully a fix soon :slight_smile:

Biometrics not working for me on Bitwarden v 1.5. On Edge - works perfectly in the desktop application but getting the same problem as everyone else in the extension. Is there any fix for this yet?

I have the same issue, but only with a Dell Laptop, work fine with an HP laptop… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Has a fix been made for Edge?
Trying to activate biometric from the extension I get a message directing me to enable browser integration in the app.
I go to the app, and I get the following (saying “Unfortunately browser integration is currently not supported in the Windows Store version.”):

Please advise.