Can't enable browser extension biometrics

@kennymc.c Safari will eventually get it, but Firefox won’t until we can make the nativeMessaging permission optional.

@B0UNC3R I agree - but I think once we initiate the Touch ID sequence, that path inherently allows the use of the computer password in place of a fingerprint, which I think is out of our control. (see here: Apple Developer Documentation)

also for me with it works with Macbook with Microsoft Edge and desktop app downloaded from Apple store vers. 1.24.5 and extension for chrome ver. 1.24.1

@tgreer So there are other problems with Safari and biometrics? Why was the biometrics option removed in Safari extension 1.48.1 when it was still there in 1.48? I thought the problem was related to the browser-integration in the desktop app, which has now been updated?

Safari is getting an overhaul to use the new APIs in Big Sur, so the biometrics integration will be there when that update occurs.

1 Like

But it was definitely there in 1.48, even if it didn’t work due to the buggy browser integration. Very strange this back and forth.
Was the release notes page updated again today? I could swear that the Safari Browser Extension was not listed there a few hours ago.

It was in 1.48, we removed it for the time being to decrease confusion since it won’t work until a later update.

We update the help site all the time :slight_smile:

You can see all commits to the /help repository at any time, here: Commits · bitwarden/help · GitHub

1 Like

@tgreer 1Password does it also, when touch id can not be used it e.g. the lid is closed, the master password must be used. The have to comply to the same Apple dev rules.

1 Like

Of course :slight_smile:

That was more or less my point, once we kick-off the Touch ID flow it’s going to use the fingerprint or computer password. To prevent that, I believe we’d need to prompt for Master Password instead of invoking Touch ID.

1 Like

Seems from this thread that many have had this issue resolved for them. I’ve only started using Bitwarden within the last few weeks (love it), but I’m experiencing this issue right now. Trying to get the chrome integration to use Windows Hello. @tgreer can you let me know if you see this as fixed?

I’ve tried disabling the “Require verification for browser integration” option to see if that caused the issue but no change.

Versions
Chrome: Version 89.0.4389.82 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Chrome/bw integration: 1.48.1
Desktop bw app: 1.24.6

Screenshot of the error

1 Like

Hmmm… everything is good on the windows version, but something not-so-obvious is that you actually need to use the non-windows store version for this to work. You can download it here: https://vault.bitwarden.com/download/?app=desktop&platform=windows

If you are already using that version, make sure the browser has this permission enabled under manage extensions: Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 10.14.52 AM

I’m 99.9% sure I was using the non-windows store version but did a reinstall anyway to make sure.

The “Allow access to file URLs” permission was disabled for the extension. I enabled it.

Still, no change. Tried closing and re-opening the browser and the desktop app. I will try a reboot of the computer but really don’t imagine the extension permission change would require even a browser restart.

Appreciate the help and hope you have more suggestions! I will note that it would be great with a more accurate feedback message for the issue - clearly the permission is set in the desktop app. Rather seems the issue is with the connection to the app or something else. Unless of course it turns out that the desktop app doesn’t correctly communicate the setting’s state. :slight_smile:

Safari is getting an overhaul to use the new APIs in Big Sur, so the biometrics integration will be there when that update occurs.

The mentioned update should now be released with 1.49, but the Biometrics option is still missing and also on the Unlock with Biometrics help page Safari is still listed as an unsupported browser.
Has the integration been postponed again and if so, is there any ETA?
Or am I mistaking something with the new API in Big Sur and the browser-wide unification of the extension?

This was my mistake - I thought it was all bundled together - still in progress, sorry about that!

2 Likes

I got everything working happily on Windows today, but my MacBook Pro is a no go:

• macOS: Catalina 10.15.7 (19H524)
  • Bitwarden App: 1.25.0 (516) - installed from App Store, TouchID works great
  • Chrome: 90.0.4430.30 (Official Build) beta (x86_64)
  • Bitwarden Extension: 1.49.1

I gave the extension all the permissions and everything. Still no dice.

Same here, only difference is that I’m using Brave Version 1.21.77 Chromium: 89.0.4389.90 (Build ufficiale) (x86_64)

Gave extension full permissions, when I try to unlock with biometrics from Brave, there’s a flash of another Bitwarden icon opening in dock, closes instantly, and I get warning message that reminds to start Bitwarden desktop (which is open). I found in Console.app this message:
informazioni 09:21:20.857595+0100 safari in _willPerformHostCallback: block

1 Like

I tried creating tmp folder in ~/Library/Containers/com.bitwarden.desktop/Data as suggested here, but didn’t worked.

So I made a fresh install of Chrome, installed Bitwarden extension, configured unlock with biometrics, and worked in Chrome. Then I did another try with Brave extension (previously installed and configured): now it works in Brave too. Both extensions are 1.49.1, both from Chrome Web Store.

For the record: now tmp directory contains a special file created after Chrome install:
srwxr-xr-x@ 1 _____ ______ 0 20 Mar 09:34 app.bitwarden

Tried re-installing the extension and then the desktop app tonight. This time it worked - enabled Windows Hello in desktop app first and then in the integration - no issue now.

1 Like

I’m experiencing this issue too, though it does work in Chrome (beta) on MacOS.

But, it ONLY works in Chrome.
Safari = no
Other Chromium browser = no

I have this exact problem.

Will try the workaround.