Move items between My Vault and Organizations

Please add the ability to move items between the personal vault and organizational vaults.

It seems like you can move from personal vault to org by using the “share” option

But it doesn’t look like you can do the opposite and remove from org back to vault. Is that correct ?

Also, none of these options are available from the mobile app ?

2 Likes

I’m also stumped as to how to remove an item from an Organization. Because if you delete an organization, as I’m about to do, the records that were previously transferred to it will also vaporize. Its unfortunate that this cannot be better implemented, or easier to find.

Any help in this are would be greatly appreciated.

I just created my second organisation and it seems like there is no easy way to move some items from my first organisation into my second organisation?

+1 for an ability to move items between vaults/organisations!

I see that it was reported here Ability to move vault item from my vault to an organization collection as well, but was closed Ability to move vault item from my vault to an organization collection in favor of Bulk share items

I am not seeing an option to move items to another organisation using the bulk-share option though.

Guess it’s yet to be announced.

Giving this another look, this seems to be right! :white_check_mark:

One way was to export from the Organization vault and import in the personal vault, and manual delete from the org vault later on.

I used the json format which didn’t bring attachments, not a big deal in my case.

What’s also stupid is that when I went to share the item with a collection on the mobile app, I was not warned that I’m moving the item out of my personal vault and into my company vault! No warning! After it moved the item, the app tells me that I’ve moved it to the org and now I cannot move it back! WTF?! why?

As mentioned above, just clone the item (taking ownership) into your personal vault and then delete the original in the organizational vault.

I don’t understand this: I’ve just tried as you suggested because I ran into the same problem. But there is no clone option for organizational vault items

Move is only possible from personal vault to organization
Clone is only possible for personal vault items

So how exactly do you do it?

What am I doing wrong?:
20220109-101012-007
20220109-101140-008

Sorry guys I figured it out by myself: You will have to navigate to the organization first (which will only show your organizational items) and then you will get the clone option:

A little unintuitive that the clone option is not displayed in your whole vault overview… (I don’t know why, it does not make sense to me).

1 Like

I agree that this should be possible. You can move an item from a vault to a collection within an org but not in reverse. This should be possible. And at the very least, it should warn you before moving the item to let the user know that this is an irreversible decision.

For now, I created a new collection in my organization called Personal that only I have access to. When the sharing of the creds is done, I move the item from the shared collection to a Personal collection to stop sharing but still retain access myself.

To move the item from the Personal collection back to my vault, I’ve copied and pasted the values manually which is a pain but do-able.

For the CLI inclined, you can use the bitwarden-cli with some jq magic. After logging in using bw login and setting the session token to unlock the vault, I followed this guide to get an item and recreate it.

Here is how I copied my southwest credentials from a collection back to my vault.

Find the cred in your app and ensure it has a unique name. Mine is called “southwest” but it’s possible you could have multiple items. Verify the correct value is returned.

bw list items | jq '[ .[] | select(.name | ascii_downcase | contains("southwest")) ] | .[0]' | less

Then clear the collectionIds and organizationId keys and pipe to bw encode | bw create item. I also piped to jq .organizationId to ensure it returns null.

bw list items | jq '[ .[] | select(.name | ascii_downcase | contains("southwest")) ] | .[0]' | jq '.collectionIds = []' | jq '.organizationId = null' | b
w encode | bw create item | jq .organizationId

Resync your vault using bw sync locally and using the app. Your new cred should appear in both your personal vault and your collection. You should now be able to delete it from your collection.