macOS Native Autofill

Feature name

• BigSur Autofill OS wide

With the release of MacOS Big Sur Apple now provides a fully integrated way to fill in your passwords on different sites and App, all inside that App or site.
Is this planned at all? This feature makes is so easy to use BitWarden inside safari.

Here is a link where StrongBox (KeePass client) has implemented this feature.

19 Likes

I would also like this feature!

1 Like

Looks interesting.

EDIT: Based on comments in Password Autofill extensions in Big Sur?, it sounds like this may be used for auto-type implementation (feature 158).

Sadly, I have a feeling that the size of Bitwarden’s customer base that are specifically “macOS + Big Sur + Safari” users isn’t big enough to prioritize this feature over other cross-platform feature requests like Overlay popup interface and Auto-type/Autofill for logging into other desktop apps.

Probably need to hope that an external contributor would be interested enough to work on this and open a PR.

Competitors that support this appear to be Apple-first like:

• Strongbox - only Apple devices (iOS + macOS)
  • 1Password (? EDIT: not too sure of status based on blog post) - originally only for Apple users before becoming cross-platform

Agree, this should be built in

1 Like

Agreed, this would make Bitwarden much more streamlined on macOS. It’s nice to see Apple provide such integration to third party devs.

Here’s Apple’s documentation:

Feature name

Native Integration with macOS AutoFill API

Feature function

• Hook into native UI elements of macOS, with native support for TouchID and FaceID

• QuickType autofill suggestions
  • System-wide autofill functionality for websites and apps.
  • No need for additional browser plug-in Safari on macOS
  • Code from iOS can be reused