Lock desktop vault on minimize

Feature name

Lock on minimize

Feature function

The BitWarden desktop client should have a feature to lock the vault when the app is minimized. I currently have it set to system lock, but what if someone hops on my computer? I’m screwed. I could set it to time-based, but then it’s inconvenient, either locking while in use or locking long after it’s been used. Allowing BitWarden to lock the vault on minimize will lock it automatically when I’m done using it.

To take it a step further, BitWarden could enable users to set multiple vault-locking actions. Yes, I want it to lock when I minimize it, but what if I forget? I’d want it to lock when my system locks as well, or after a certain period of time has passed. Perhaps this should be a separate feature, but it would be useful if you can specify multiple events to lock the BitWarden vault.

I’m all for the locking on minimize to tray. For minimize to taskbar, it could get a little annoying and if you want to have it locked it would be better to minimize to tray anyway so people don’t immediately see your password manager there, but i’m not exactly against a toggle for that (I just wouldn’t use it).

I do also agree that the higher “tier” of locking the vault should include everything below it; as in yes lock when putting to sleep/locking the windows account, actually that should probably be a default toggle. I do also hope that if this becomes a feature it can work with the lock after X minutes since having multiple working options is great :slight_smile:

We appreciate this feedback @napoca, and welcome to the community!

Hello, is there any update on this feature request? It is a common function that already existed in KeePassXC, KeePass 2. I just transferred from the aforementioned password management softwares, but found there is no such function in Bitwarden. Hope this function and be implemented.