Just changed master password and promptly forgot it

@Gerardv514 for updating vault item passwords, I’ve found the best work flow is to open the login item for editing, click the generate (:arrows_counterclockwise:) icon in the password field (which takes you to the generator), click “Select” in the upper right corner (which copies the generated password to the vault item, then click “Save” in the upper right corner. At this point, you can click “Auto-fill” to transfer the password to the password change form. The only tricky part is the “old password” field (which is also auto-filled with the new password). If you work quickly, or if your clipboard timeout is sufficiently long, you can place the old password in the clipboard at the beginning od the process, before you start editing the vault item (by just clicking the “Copy” button). Otherwise, you’ll have to retrieve it from the password history. In either case, you’ll need to paste the old password over the auto-filled value in the “old password” field on the form.

With this method, you’ll never lose a new password. Also, the new password is never placed on your system clipboard, which improves security.

Glad I was able to help.

Since you’re out of the woods, I would advice you to choose a master password consisting of at least 4 randomly selected words (5-7 is better, in which case you don’t even need to bother with adding special characters or numbers). And keep at least one paper document on which the master password and 2FA recovery code are printed; store in a secure location that you will be able to find in the future (e.g., with your birth certificate, etc.).

In addition, you may want to consider using the Emergency Access feature, which you could set up to allow you to gain access to your wife’s vault (and vice versa) in case of emergency. This requires a premium subscription, though.

Yea I will be doing all of these things tonight. Again I’m very grateful for your help on this.

Aside: This all makes me wish passwords were a thing of the past…

2 Likes