Issues with SQL and SMTP on Home hosted Bitwarden (Debian)

Hi all,

I apologize if this request comes off as noobish…

Here’s what I’m working with to give background…

*Home hosted VPS (ProxMox)
*Bitwarden running on Debian 8 VM (edit: corrected Linux version)
*Software firewall disabled on Deb VM
*Actual Firewall is PFSense with HAProxy to route to VPS’s
*Bitwarden domain has a LetsEncrypt cert which is maintained via HAProxy on firewall
*Bitwarden setup with Self Signed Cert (page resolves w/out Cert warning, Secure)
*Bitwarden version 1.31.1

I’ve followed the installation instructions, and watched a setup video from the dev, everything seems easy enough there, but when I try to register a user nothing gets sent, and since the latest update to 1.31.1 SQL seems to be throwing an error.

Error –

Unhandled Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 35 - An internal exception was caught) —> System.Net.Internals.SocketExceptionFactory+ExtendedSocketException: Resource temporarily unavailable
at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName)
at System.Net.Dns.GetHostAddresses(String hostNameOrAddress)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SNI.SNITCPHandle.Connect(String serverName, Int32 port, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SNI.SNITCPHandle…ctor(String serverName, Int32 port, Int64 timerExpire, Object callbackObject, Boolean parallel)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at Bit.Setup.Program.MigrateDatabase(Int32 attempt) in /home/appveyor/projects/server/util/Setup/Program.cs:line 193
at Bit.Setup.Program.Main(String[] args) in /home/appveyor/projects/server/util/Setup/Program.cs:line 65

I read on another post that the SQL issue might be in relation to lack of resources, however everything should meet minimal criteria in terms of CPU, Memory, and Disk space.

My preferred SMTP host for sending from Bitwarden is an Office 365 email (smtp.office365.com), Port 587, SSL=True…

I’ve tried this with a Google address to no avail as well, nothing is being generated, however I suppose the SQL error is paramount to the problem.

Any suggetions are appreciated!

EDIT One other thing I forgot to mention, but after the 1.31.1 update to bitwarden, though is a Docker application seems to result in a kernel panic…This has happens almost guaranteed after submitting a new user through the signup process via webpage…Not much can be done to regain control to ACPI shutdown, so the VM has to be unplugged/stopped.

I did also notice upon stopping with ‘./bitwarden.sh stop’ that the status checks of the container show this…where the ‘Removing network docker_default’ never shows ‘…done’ as the rest do.

Stopping bitwarden-nginx … done
Stopping bitwarden-admin … done
Stopping bitwarden-identity … done
Stopping bitwarden-api … done
Stopping bitwarden-icons … done
Stopping bitwarden-web … done
Stopping bitwarden-notifications … done
Stopping bitwarden-events … done
Stopping bitwarden-mssql … done
Stopping bitwarden-attachments … done
Removing bitwarden-nginx … done
Removing bitwarden-admin … done
Removing bitwarden-identity … done
Removing bitwarden-api … done
Removing bitwarden-icons … done
Removing bitwarden-web … done
Removing bitwarden-notifications … done
Removing bitwarden-events … done
Removing bitwarden-mssql … done
Removing bitwarden-attachments … done
Removing network docker_default