Improved Manual Unlock/Login Dialog for browser extension (Mobile has been addressed)

Feature name

• Improved Login/Unlock Dialog UX
  • Visible outlines for entry of fields for login/password and PIN

Feature function

• Make entry of password and Login / Unlock tap easier without having to reach top right of screen to execute command.
  • Easier one-hand usability
  • No guessing where to tap to enter login/password/pin. Field entry boundary not visible.

Thanks for the consideration. :slight_smile:

Hi @RobA1701! We are going to be swapping the buttons (unlock/log out) in the next app release :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, Trey! :slight_smile:

@tgreer I am not sure if my ā€œissueā€ is addressed here - and the ā€œnext app releaseā€ has already happened as I joined only recently, but one UX issue I have experienced when installing Bitwarden for my family was exactly the positioning of the ā€œunlockā€ (top right corner) and ā€œlog outā€ actions (I am primarily referring to the browser plugins here):

The ā€œlog outā€ action is of different colour, and positioned underneath the pin/master password field; not a single person in my household who did not at least once log out accidentally when trying to unlock - to me this feels like a serious UX issue. I get the consistency for the main action in the top right corner (edit, save, unlock, ā€¦) but I would argue UX over consistency :wink: Maybe a redundant primary CTA for ā€œunlockā€ directly below the password field, and a secondary action to log out below - the natural mouse or finger movement is trained to go below the text field, and not to the top right corner (which is if Iā€™m not mistaken an iOS design pattern)

@fkefer Welcome!

Hmm - we have long since swapped the buttons around. Make sure youā€™re using the latest version (v2.9+) and the button under Master Password is ā€˜Unlockā€™ - and/or ā€˜use biometrics to unlockā€™ if applicable.

This is what it looks like on Safari plugin

Itā€™s the same layout on Chrome (macOS) or Edge as well. Maybe I am just totally wrong with this thread/thought though, I just see this issue and instead of tearing open yet another ticket I found thisā€¦ so sorry for noise in case I mess up here

Ahh, I see! This thread (although not titled as such) was referring to the Mobile Apps initially. Iā€™ll correct the title to match your request as youā€™re right - perhaps it should change. The browser extension experience isnā€™t so drastic though, because you can press ā€˜enterā€™ after your password and it will submit for unlocking.

Sorry then, was not clear for me - thereā€™s an ā€œapp:browserā€ on it Iā€™ve seen but that did not help make it any clearer. Got it now though.

As for the browser extension experience it being not so drastic given one can just hit ā€œenterā€ - I agree this is true for you, me, and everyone else who made it this far to post on - or even read - this website.

For less tech savvy people, used to enter pins without pressing ā€œenterā€, it is a UX trap - at the worst imaginable point in their user journey: it usually happens at their first ā€œretention activityā€ (when they have to unlock for the first time), before the value of a password manager is even understood and experienced - before the ā€œahaā€ moment of the user. It has happened to 4 out of the 4 60+, non-tech-savvy people I introduced to Bitwarden

I also understand that 60+, non-tech-savvy people are not the main target group of existing users, which from a priority perspective this moves the wish even further down (I know exactly what this is like - I am product manager and deciding this is exactly my job). But password security is a topic for these too, and advocates like me are given an easier time when panic-phone calls with ā€œI deleted itā€ or ā€œI broke itā€ could be avoided :wink:

So yes, I stand behind the request for I think good arguments (I hope :pray:) but totally understand itā€™s one of many with a low priority given the current user base and business situation

1 Like